It’s set to be a summer to savour for Jess Williams as she competes in two world events
- Credit: Archant
Jess Williams is preparing to write two more terrific chapters in her uplifting sporting story.
The Needingworth-based talent is chasing a second World Duathlon Championship medal in the Danish city of Odense on July 6.
Williams, 28, won silver in Spain two years ago and is again in fine form after capturing her second British title earlier this year.
But there will be no running involved at the end of August when Williams heads to Varese, in Italy, to race in the UCI Gran Fondo World Championships – the blue riband event in amateur cycling.
Williams booked her place in that event with a pleasing performance in the recent Tour of Cambridgeshire – her first official road race outing.
You may also want to watch:
She is relishing the two challenges that lie ahead and her sporting success should also act as a tale of inspiration.
Williams said: “I battled an eating disorder for 10 years and got in to duathlon around three-and-a-half years ago as I wanted to conquer it once and for all.
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 7 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 8 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 9 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
- 10 Huntingdon drug dealer caught with cannabis
“I now pride myself to help others to actively seek out a more positive way of thinking. We all have tough and dark days, but I can do this then anyone can.
“It’s been a long journey with lots of twists and turns, and it never seems to run smoothly.
“I’ve made a lot of sacrifices along the way but I will go out there fighting to do my best for myself, my sponsors and all those who support me every day when I am wearing my country’s colours.
“I know the competition is going to be tough in Denmark, but I’m feeling excited having won silver a couple of years ago and I’m really looking forward to Italy too.
“I consider myself to be really lucky to have always had the support of my family to pursue my sporting dreams.
“My dad, Graham, and brother, Alan, are both from competitive cycling and running backgrounds, and offer me a lot of knowledge and guidance towards my training.”
Williams is backed by Sports4Tri - a triathlon shop based at Lakeside Lodge in Pidley – and D Kelly Design. That sponsorship is of huge benefit as she combines her sporting endeavours with a full-time job as a self-funded athlete.
She also has another major event on the horizon - the European Standard Distance Duathlon Championship in October.