Dream start for Lenihan with away day victory
UCL Division One ON Chenecks 1 Eynesbury Rovers 3 NEW Eynesbury boss Al Lenihan got off to a dream start with a fine victory at top-half side ON Chenecks. Four new signings made their debuts, Ben Lawrence – Brett Bellamy, Abubkarr Kamara and Jamie Graham,
UCL Division One
ON Chenecks 1
Eynesbury Rovers 3
NEW Eynesbury boss Al Lenihan got off to a dream start with a fine victory at top-half side ON Chenecks.
You may also want to watch:
Four new signings made their debuts, Ben Lawrence - Brett Bellamy, Abubkarr Kamara and Jamie Graham, whilst Joe Duffy was on the bench.
After Marc Cross brought a good early save from Danny Workman, Rovers went close when Ian Dawkes and Graham combined only for Dawkes' shot to be deflected behind for a corner.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 6 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 7 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 8 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
Dawkes then had a header saved by the goalkeeper, whilst Graham's attempted chip went narrowly wide of goal.
Eynesbury took the lead in the 38th minute when a low cross from the left by Graham was side-footed home at the far post by Bellamy.
Just three minutes later, the visitors doubled their advantage as Dawkes cut into the penalty area before firing a low shot beyond Ben Garrett to claim his first goal of the season.
Dawkes had two opportunities to score again before the break but headed wide on both occasions.
Nine minutes into the second half, Darren Woodend's cross was headed against the crossbar by Graham, but in the same minute he made amends as he controlled a through ball by Woodend and fired it past the keeper from eight yards.
ON Chenecks rallied with Dan Webster setting up Scott Barczewski but his shot was blocked. Webster tried his luck with two long range shots but failed to find the target.
The hosts pulled a goal back in the 76th minute as a defensive mix-up allowed Lee Bradley to poke the ball home via a defender.
However, six minutes later they were reduced to 10 men as Barczewski picked up his second yellow.
Rovers could have added to their score but Dawkes was denied by a fine Garrett save. It proved to be a comfortable victory for Eynesbury who were rarely troubled by the hosts and looked dangerous when on the attack.