Dream start for Lenihan with away day victory
UCL Division One ON Chenecks 1 Eynesbury Rovers 3 NEW Eynesbury boss Al Lenihan got off to a dream start with a fine victory at top-half side ON Chenecks. Four new signings made their debuts, Ben Lawrence – Brett Bellamy, Abubkarr Kamara and Jamie Graham,
UCL Division One
ON Chenecks 1
Eynesbury Rovers 3
NEW Eynesbury boss Al Lenihan got off to a dream start with a fine victory at top-half side ON Chenecks.
Four new signings made their debuts, Ben Lawrence - Brett Bellamy, Abubkarr Kamara and Jamie Graham, whilst Joe Duffy was on the bench.
After Marc Cross brought a good early save from Danny Workman, Rovers went close when Ian Dawkes and Graham combined only for Dawkes' shot to be deflected behind for a corner.
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 7 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 8 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
Dawkes then had a header saved by the goalkeeper, whilst Graham's attempted chip went narrowly wide of goal.
Eynesbury took the lead in the 38th minute when a low cross from the left by Graham was side-footed home at the far post by Bellamy.
Just three minutes later, the visitors doubled their advantage as Dawkes cut into the penalty area before firing a low shot beyond Ben Garrett to claim his first goal of the season.
Dawkes had two opportunities to score again before the break but headed wide on both occasions.
Nine minutes into the second half, Darren Woodend's cross was headed against the crossbar by Graham, but in the same minute he made amends as he controlled a through ball by Woodend and fired it past the keeper from eight yards.
ON Chenecks rallied with Dan Webster setting up Scott Barczewski but his shot was blocked. Webster tried his luck with two long range shots but failed to find the target.
The hosts pulled a goal back in the 76th minute as a defensive mix-up allowed Lee Bradley to poke the ball home via a defender.
However, six minutes later they were reduced to 10 men as Barczewski picked up his second yellow.
Rovers could have added to their score but Dawkes was denied by a fine Garrett save. It proved to be a comfortable victory for Eynesbury who were rarely troubled by the hosts and looked dangerous when on the attack.