Double title wins for Regional College ‘unprecedented’
Gent and Cox secure National Elite Knock-Out Inter-Collegiate Cup triumph
National Elite Knock-Out Inter-Collegiate Cup
Telford College 0-2 Huntingdonshire Regional College
UNPRECEDENTED double-winning success was achieved by Huntingdonshire Regional College on Wednesday as they added the National Elite Knock-Out Inter-Collegiate Cup to the Colleges National League Championship title they picked up the previous week.
Jordan Gent and Matt Cox got the goals as HRC beat a highly talented Telford outfit 2-0 in a gripping final spectacle at Burton Albion’s Pirelli Stadium.
You may also want to watch:
Dave Lutton, curriculum manager for Sport and Exercise Sciences at the college, said: “To win both competitions is unprecedented.
And it’s a fantastic achievement, given the number of colleges who can enter, many of whom are development programmes for Premier League and Football League clubs.”
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 8 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
Although they had to wait until eight minutes from time before breaking the deadlock – St Neots Town centre-half Gent guided a towering header from a Joe Furness cross into the far corner of the net.
And the win was sealed with two minutes left as Cox’s shot escaped the Telford keeper’s grasp to put the game beyond doubt.
The college were already on a high after defeating Truro 3-0 at Doncaster Rovers’ Keepmoat Stadium to retain their British Colleges national football crown seven days earlier.
• HRC offers both men’s and women’s football development programmes.
For more information, contact Jennifer Clarke on 01480 379216 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org