Double title wins for Regional College ‘unprecedented’
Gent and Cox secure National Elite Knock-Out Inter-Collegiate Cup triumph
National Elite Knock-Out Inter-Collegiate Cup
Telford College 0-2 Huntingdonshire Regional College
UNPRECEDENTED double-winning success was achieved by Huntingdonshire Regional College on Wednesday as they added the National Elite Knock-Out Inter-Collegiate Cup to the Colleges National League Championship title they picked up the previous week.
Jordan Gent and Matt Cox got the goals as HRC beat a highly talented Telford outfit 2-0 in a gripping final spectacle at Burton Albion’s Pirelli Stadium.
Dave Lutton, curriculum manager for Sport and Exercise Sciences at the college, said: “To win both competitions is unprecedented.
And it’s a fantastic achievement, given the number of colleges who can enter, many of whom are development programmes for Premier League and Football League clubs.”
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 3 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 4 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 7 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 8 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 Newly elected mayor and deputy mayor of St Neots announced
Although they had to wait until eight minutes from time before breaking the deadlock – St Neots Town centre-half Gent guided a towering header from a Joe Furness cross into the far corner of the net.
And the win was sealed with two minutes left as Cox’s shot escaped the Telford keeper’s grasp to put the game beyond doubt.
The college were already on a high after defeating Truro 3-0 at Doncaster Rovers’ Keepmoat Stadium to retain their British Colleges national football crown seven days earlier.
• HRC offers both men’s and women’s football development programmes.
For more information, contact Jennifer Clarke on 01480 379216 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org