ROWING: St Ives talents ‘Star’ at big regatta in Bedford
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Rowing Club claimed four successes at the Bedford Star Club Regatta last Saturday.
The newly-formed partnership of Matt Wright and Elliott Hammond enjoyed a fine start by winning the open double sculls with ease. They were helped by an error of judgement from opponents University of East Anglia who rowed through the wrong arch of the town bridge and almost hit the river bank!
Jess Hasted also captured a first success in the Women’s Junior 14 B event for rowers without a previous 2018 regatta victory.
She powered clear of her Star Club opponent in the final after her St Edwards’ School, Oxford, rival capsized in their semi-final.
Sam Hasted and Rory Crouch are no strangers to success and added another victory to their collection of Junior 15 double sculls honours by seeing off two crews from Norwich School.
You may also want to watch:
Lauren Maddison claimed three local scalps on her way to Women’s Junior 17 single sculls glory.
She beat opponents from Bedford Girls School and Bedford Modern School before seeing off a rival from the host club by three lengths in the final.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'