Double delight as a second St Ivo School team reach a national final
- Credit: Archant
St Ivo School could be set for a national trophy double.
The Under 13 girls side followed in the footsteps of their Under 14 counterparts by reaching the English Schools’ Football Association (ESFA) PlayStation Cup showpiece.
They advanced with a 3-1 success against the Gordano School, of North Somerset, in a semi-final clash last Thursday.
Player-of-the-match Tia Everdell’s opener was cancelled out, but Abby Townsend hit a second-half brace to secure their passage.
The finals of both the Under 13 and Under 14 competitions are expected to be held at the Madejski Stadium – the home of Reading FC – in May.
You may also want to watch:
The Under 13s will take on either Thomas Telford School from Shropshire or the Our Lady’s Roman Catholic High School, Manchester in their final.
The Under 14s could also face a Thomas Telford team or the South Hunsley side from East Yorkshire who beat them in the final last season.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 6 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
Lisa Trigg, PE teacher and coach of the two teams along with Darren Marjoram, said: “It is so exciting to have reached two national finals – and I’m very proud of the girls.
“Our good record in these competitions is testimony to the energy, talent, enthusiasm and determination of the players.
“I must thank the many parents who have supported and encouraged the teams all the way, and also Darren for the dedication he has shown in helping to coach them.
“His hours of voluntary work have made challenging for national success a possibility.”
The St Ivo Under 12 team are also making smart progress in their national competition. They are through to the fourth round after beating Leicestershire opponents Wigston Academy 5-0 recently.
St Ivo School Under 13 squad: Erin Waterman, Abby Townsend, Caitlin McGeown, Ella Hampton, Poppy Dunmore, Aimee Best, Ellen Bullin, Alice Claridge, Tia Everdell, Lucy O’Brien, Ella Davies, Zoe Barratt, Angel Lyden, Sasha Brown, Charly Woolstenholmes, Maddy Claridge.