District council team unbeaten – but still miss out on tournament qualification
A FIVE-A-SIDE football team from Huntingdonshire District Council came back from the Southern Finals of the National Housing Cup disappointed but undefeated. HDC recorded three draws and a win yet narrowly missed out on qualification for the National Fin
A FIVE-A-SIDE football team from Huntingdonshire District Council came back from the Southern Finals of the National Housing Cup disappointed but undefeated.
HDC recorded three draws and a win yet narrowly missed out on qualification for the National Finals in July.
The team started slowly, but were unlucky to draw their first two matches 1-1 and 2-2.
The third match saw Ryan Armes score a well-taken hat-trick, but two own goals from HDC saw the game end in a 4-4 draw.
You may also want to watch:
Their final game saw HDC pull out the stops to take a 1-0 win over league-winners Higgins Housing.
Armes finished as the team's top scorer with a tally of six. Martin Grey and Simon Hall scored one apiece.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 6 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 7 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 8 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 Manager of BID Huntingdon is retiring after 11 years of service
Team manager John Allan said: "It was a terrific day out for the lads, but it is disappointing that we failed to convert those draws into wins.
"The matches were played at a high tempo, and the fact that we managed to beat the league winners, was a testament to the quality of the team.
"We will be hoping for better luck next year.