Dennis Greene: Title destiny to be decided on April 16
The thoughts of the St Neots Town manager after Saturday’s comfortable win over Rothwell
WITH one eye on the game at Stewarts & Lloyds tomorrow night, we rested a few to make sure we’re fresh and also to avoid picking up any knocks.
And, without any disrespect to Rothwell, they are bottom of the league and have conceded over 100 goals, so of course we fancied ourselves to win at home against them.
It was a comfortable game and I felt I made the right decisions.
Although the game at S&L Corby is one we need to win, I believe our fate depends on how we get on at King’s Lynn on April 16.
If we were to lose at Corby - but beat King’s Lynn - then we’re still in the driving seat.
If we win at Corby but lose at King’s Lynn, then they’re in the driving seat, so that’s the crucial game.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 5 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 8 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 9 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 10 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
We’ve got seven games left and we know that, if we win all seven – or win six and draw one - then we’ll win this league.
Dan Jacob scored two on Saturday and he, in my opinion, is probably a better centre-forward than he is left winger.
We put him up there whenever we need too and he never lets us down.
He always scores goals, is gangly, a handful, strong, can finish and when Stefan is out, he’ll play up there.
It was disappointing to concede, though, as Shaney (Luke McShane) should have the free-kick covered no problem, but he’s spilled it and they’ve poked it in.
That’s the downside because a 5-0 win is always nice.
In terms of the squad, we’re going to go with what we’ve got now until the end – and we’ll just hope it goes our way.
As much as I’ve tried to bring another striker in, it has been a nightmare.
That’s because there aren’t many half-decent strikers who want to come here and not get a game with Stef and Tolley in the side – their reputation goes before them I think.