Dennis Greene: Title destiny to be decided on April 16
The thoughts of the St Neots Town manager after Saturday’s comfortable win over Rothwell
WITH one eye on the game at Stewarts & Lloyds tomorrow night, we rested a few to make sure we’re fresh and also to avoid picking up any knocks.
And, without any disrespect to Rothwell, they are bottom of the league and have conceded over 100 goals, so of course we fancied ourselves to win at home against them.
It was a comfortable game and I felt I made the right decisions.
Although the game at S&L Corby is one we need to win, I believe our fate depends on how we get on at King’s Lynn on April 16.
You may also want to watch:
If we were to lose at Corby - but beat King’s Lynn - then we’re still in the driving seat.
If we win at Corby but lose at King’s Lynn, then they’re in the driving seat, so that’s the crucial game.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
We’ve got seven games left and we know that, if we win all seven – or win six and draw one - then we’ll win this league.
Dan Jacob scored two on Saturday and he, in my opinion, is probably a better centre-forward than he is left winger.
We put him up there whenever we need too and he never lets us down.
He always scores goals, is gangly, a handful, strong, can finish and when Stefan is out, he’ll play up there.
It was disappointing to concede, though, as Shaney (Luke McShane) should have the free-kick covered no problem, but he’s spilled it and they’ve poked it in.
That’s the downside because a 5-0 win is always nice.
In terms of the squad, we’re going to go with what we’ve got now until the end – and we’ll just hope it goes our way.
As much as I’ve tried to bring another striker in, it has been a nightmare.
That’s because there aren’t many half-decent strikers who want to come here and not get a game with Stef and Tolley in the side – their reputation goes before them I think.