Dennis Greene has quit as manager of St Neots Town
DENNIS Greene has quit as manager of St Neots Town just one week before the start of pre-season training.
Greene, who led the club to two successive promotions, made a statement on Twitter on Friday, saying: “It is with deep regret that I have resigned from St Neots Town FC. Statement to follow shortly.”
The Hunts Post talked to both Greene and the club’s chairman Mike Kearns this morning (Saturday), but neither of them were prepared to go into further details. Kearns said there would be an official statement from the club shortly.
Greene took the hot seat when Steve Lomas left during the 2009-10 season, and guided the Saints to the United Counties Premier Division championship the following season, adding the Southern League Division One Central title to that achievement in May.
This season, St Neots Town will be playing in the Premier Division of the Southern League, just one step away from Conference football.
You may also want to watch:
Publically, the manager and the chairman have always had a strong relationship - but The Hunts Post believes there was a breakdown this week when the pair disagreed on the way the club is moving forward.
The expected news over the weekend was not of a departure – but of new signings, with pre-season training beginning on Tuesday.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 6 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 7 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 10 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
Asked to elaborate on his statement on Twitter, Greene tweeted: “Sorry guys, until I have spoken to Mike I cannot say anymore about it other than I am not going anywhere else.”