Defensive slip costs Godmanchester Rovers again
Cornard United 1-0 Godmanchester Rovers GODMANCHESTER Rovers failed to ignite their Ridgeons First Division campaign at Sudbury on Saturday as high-flying opponents Cornard United snatched a 1-0 win. Manager Karl Hurst has seen his side play some attracti
Cornard United 1-0 Godmanchester Rovers
GODMANCHESTER Rovers failed to ignite their Ridgeons First Division campaign at Sudbury on Saturday as high-flying opponents Cornard United snatched a 1-0 win.
Manager Karl Hurst has seen his side play some attractive football in cup competitions this season, but the team's league form of one win in five is causing concern.
Rovers' defence has been solid, but the strikeforce has been delivered only four goals in the five games.
Hurst said: "We had enough of the play to take a point but a defensive slip cost us a goal. We have two away games this week which hasn't made things easy.
We have a number of injuries, although I am confident that the results will turn round in the league."
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 5 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 6 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 7 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
Against Cornard, there was little between the teams in the first half.
Paul Bass went close when one-on-one with the keeper, sliding his shot into the side-netting.
The second half was only five minutes old when a defensive slip led to the game's only goal. Rob Stamper dallied, allowing a Cornard forward the chance to slip in and score.
Bass and Stephen Hurst had chances to equalise but the home keeper saved well to keep Cornard's lead intact.
Rovers travel to Ipswich Wanderers on Saturday.