ATHLETICS: Huntingdon runner second to Mo Farah in the Great North Run
- Credit: Archant
There were some super performances from local runners in the big Great North Run last Sunday.
Huntingdon BRJ star David Hudson impressed to finish 22nd out of more than 50,000 entrants as he covered the half-marathon in 1:11.09.
Hudson’s effort earned second place in the M35-39 category. The only man to beat him in that age group was the legendary Mo Farah, who won the race for the fifth successive year!
Paul Loosley (542nd in 1:30.17) and Simon Moore (661st in 1:31.58) also ran well for BRJ while 10 other club members - Melody Gill, Cheryl Hannibal, Belinda Parker, Alan Hannibal, Kathryn Heath, Geoff Hopcraft, Eugene Gill, Nigel Maggs, Steve Dockerill and Bryony Smith – completed the race together in around three hours and 22 minutes while raising money for Prostate Cancer UK.
Riverside Runners star Jo O’Regan competed in the elite women’s section at the Great North Run, finishing 23rd in that bracket in 1:22.34.
Closer to home, BRJ husband and wife David (M60) and Annette (F60) both finished second in their age groups at the Greater Cambridge 10k.
Riverside duo Kyle Chesterman and Edmund Bishanga finished 16th and 17th respectively in that race.
- 1 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 2 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in their village
- 3 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 4 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 5 Huntingdon Carnival and parade returns this summer
- 6 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 7 £1,350 a day (plus VAT) for new chief executive at combined authority
- 8 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 9 This year's Huntingdon in Bloom launch event has taken place
- 10 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
Chesterman equalled his personal best of 38.04 while Bishanga lowered his top time to 38.05.