ATHLETICS: Huntingdon runner second to Mo Farah in the Great North Run
- Credit: Archant
There were some super performances from local runners in the big Great North Run last Sunday.
Huntingdon BRJ star David Hudson impressed to finish 22nd out of more than 50,000 entrants as he covered the half-marathon in 1:11.09.
Hudson’s effort earned second place in the M35-39 category. The only man to beat him in that age group was the legendary Mo Farah, who won the race for the fifth successive year!
Paul Loosley (542nd in 1:30.17) and Simon Moore (661st in 1:31.58) also ran well for BRJ while 10 other club members - Melody Gill, Cheryl Hannibal, Belinda Parker, Alan Hannibal, Kathryn Heath, Geoff Hopcraft, Eugene Gill, Nigel Maggs, Steve Dockerill and Bryony Smith – completed the race together in around three hours and 22 minutes while raising money for Prostate Cancer UK.
Riverside Runners star Jo O’Regan competed in the elite women’s section at the Great North Run, finishing 23rd in that bracket in 1:22.34.
You may also want to watch:
Closer to home, BRJ husband and wife David (M60) and Annette (F60) both finished second in their age groups at the Greater Cambridge 10k.
Riverside duo Kyle Chesterman and Edmund Bishanga finished 16th and 17th respectively in that race.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 6 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 7 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 8 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 9 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 10 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
Chesterman equalled his personal best of 38.04 while Bishanga lowered his top time to 38.05.