CYCLOCROSS: Success for Cecilia and podium berth for Beatrice as St Ives Cycling Club enjoy a fine Central League start
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Cycling Club talents starred in the late summer sunshine when enjoying a successful start to the Central League season last Saturday.
Cecilia Hime sped to victory in the Junior Women’s race at Stanborough Park, in Welwyn Garden City, while clubmate Beatrice Pauley climbed onto the Under 14 Girls podium thanks to a third place.
Younger brother Dominic Pauley was eighth and Liam Conway took 12th in the Under 12 Boys section, while siblings Ralf and Max Falkner were both 13th – in the Under 14 Boys and Under 16 Boys events respectively.
Their father, Leo, finished 55th in the 40-49 Veteran contest. Tim Phillips was 42nd in the same bracket.
Beatrice Pauley just missed out on a second podium spot the following day when competing in the fourth round of the West Midlands League at Fillongley.
She finished fourth in the Under 14 Girls category while brother Dominic took 19th in the Under 12 Boys contest after a crash during the race.
Angus Lawrence (12th) and Ollie Maynard (14th) raced in the third round of the Eastern League.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 4 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 5 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 6 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 7 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 8 Councillors vote to continue school transport for special needs schools
- 9 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 10 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
They were joined at the event in Basildon by Orla Kenna, who finished fourth in the Under 12 Girls section, and Andy Fountain, who grabbed eighth spot in the 50+ Veteran standings.
Three junior members of St Ives Cycling Club were involved in the Inter-Regional Mountain Bike Championships.
Sam Trotter helped East Midlands finish third overall, while Nathan Gibson and Sapphire Curtis were part of the East team which took ninth at Hadleigh Park – the Essex venue which staged the mountain bike events at the Olympic Games in 2012.