CYCLOCROSS: Brilliant Beatrice bags victory and plenty of other St Ives talents shine
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Cycling Club star Beatrice Pauley picked herself up from two crashes to pedal to glory last Sunday.
Pauley was triumphant in the Under 14 girls category when competing in the latest round of the Central Region League at Leighton Buzzard.
The 12 year-old also had to overcome a flat tyre, in addition to her two spills, to power to victory.
Younger brother Dominic took part in the Under 12 boys’ race at the same event and finished in eighth position.
A host of other St Ives youngsters were in action in an Eastern Region League round at Welwyn Garden City on the same day.
Holly Hoy (16), Orla Kenna (9) and Ruby O’Dell (7) provided a hat-trick of runners-up finishes for the local club. Their second places came in the Junior, Under 10 and Under 8 girls’ races respectively.
Others in action at Welwyn Garden City were Sapphire Curtis (fifth in Under 12 girls), Nathan Gibson (eighth in Under 16 boys), Angus Lawrence (10th in Under 14 boys) and Edwards Lawrence (28th in Under 12 boys).
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
St Ives coach Mike Hoy said: “The kids did amazingly well in two different events despite slippery conditions.
“It was a fight to stay upright at times, but they put their bike-handling skills to the test and the club’s coaches could not be more proud of them.”