CYCLING: Roberts on the Mark with a sizzling ride
- Credit: Archant
Mark Roberts produced a scorching performance to win the latest St Ives Cycling Club time trial – staged on the hottest day of the year.
Roberts completed the 10-mile course, starting and finishing at Sawtry, in a time of 22.19 to triumph by more than a minute.
Tim Phillips took second spot with a useful 23.20 and Andrew Knowles was eight seconds further back in third.
Wendy Gooding continued her dominance of the leading lady prize with a time of 25.29 which was just enough to sneak into the top 10 of the overall standings.
Nathan Gibson and Holly Hoy were the fastest Under 18 male and female riders in times of 26.07 and 29.15 respectively.
You may also want to watch:
St Ives Cycling Club time trial (top 10): 1 Mark Roberts 22.19, 2 Tim Phillips 23.20, 3 Andrew Knowles 23.28, 4 Paul Schofield 23.40, 5 Mike Hoy 24.06, 6 Tony Egbe 24.45, 7 Phil Oxborough 24.48, 8 Ken Rolland 24.58, 9 Daniel Rigby 25.01, 10 Wendy Gooding 25.29.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 6 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 7 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 8 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse