Cycling: Cooke tops list of Ives record-breakers
RECORDS came tumbling down at St Ives Cycling Club’s weekly time trial championships on Wednesday.
RECORDS came tumbling down at St Ives Cycling Club’s weekly time trial championships on Wednesday as riders capitalised on the favourable weather conditions.
More than half of the 23 cyclists participating recorded their best times on the quiet Sawtry course, profiting from the warm weather and lack of wind.
Terry Cooke was the biggest winner, ducking six seconds under his target of 26 minutes to set a personal best and winning the veterans competition.
In the adjusted age handicap standings, Cooke beat his nearest rival Paul Davis by more than two minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Vivien Parish led the ladies home in a personal best time of 29mins 12secs, seeing off competition from Gillian Peck.
N AFTER her record-breaking exploits the previous week, St Ives CC’s Avril Swan followed up with a third place in the national 50-mile time trial championships.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Competing against the country’s best riders at the competition near Petersfield, Swan claimed the bronze medal in a time of 1hr 55mins 39 secs, just a week after knocking 55mins off the Irish national 100-mile record.