Cycling: Cooke tops list of Ives record-breakers
RECORDS came tumbling down at St Ives Cycling Club’s weekly time trial championships on Wednesday.
RECORDS came tumbling down at St Ives Cycling Club’s weekly time trial championships on Wednesday as riders capitalised on the favourable weather conditions.
More than half of the 23 cyclists participating recorded their best times on the quiet Sawtry course, profiting from the warm weather and lack of wind.
Terry Cooke was the biggest winner, ducking six seconds under his target of 26 minutes to set a personal best and winning the veterans competition.
In the adjusted age handicap standings, Cooke beat his nearest rival Paul Davis by more than two minutes.
Vivien Parish led the ladies home in a personal best time of 29mins 12secs, seeing off competition from Gillian Peck.
N AFTER her record-breaking exploits the previous week, St Ives CC’s Avril Swan followed up with a third place in the national 50-mile time trial championships.
- 1 Small community café in St Neots "just hanging on"
- 2 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 3 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 4 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 5 Come and see Huntingdon's Beacon lighting ceremony for the Jubilee
- 6 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 7 Great honour for two men awarded the freedom of Huntingdon
- 8 The latest Readers' Photos sent to the Hunts Post this week
- 9 Large Hotel of the Year winner is proud of its history
- 10 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
Competing against the country’s best riders at the competition near Petersfield, Swan claimed the bronze medal in a time of 1hr 55mins 39 secs, just a week after knocking 55mins off the Irish national 100-mile record.