Cup and league action from the weekend
ST IVES Reserves dumped Huntingdon United RGE out of the Benevolent Cup at the first hurdle on Saturday. Ives were dominant throughout most of the match and recorded a 3-0 win. Tel Glynn scored two and there was a single strike from Dennis Squires. Somer
ST IVES Reserves dumped Huntingdon United RGE out of the Benevolent Cup at the first hurdle on Saturday.
Ives were dominant throughout most of the match and recorded a 3-0 win. Tel Glynn scored two and there was a single strike from Dennis Squires.
Somersham Town travelled to Wisbech Town Reserves in the cup on Saturday with recent form giving them plenty of confidence. However, the home side proved a tough nut to crack and Nick Mead's goal was not enough to grab a place in the draw for the next round as Wisbech won 2-1. Somersham Reserves had a better day winning 4-2 in the Junior Cup at Great Paxton.
Also in the Junior Cup, Eaton Socon crashed out at the first hurdle when they entertained Powerleague. The 2-0 defeat was hard to take as Ben Argyle, Adam Westbury and Dicky Conby all had chances to put Socon on the score sheet.
There was a better result for Godmanchester Reserves as they managed to progress in the Junior Cup with a fine 2-1 win at Gransden Chequer. Alex Ramos and Ross Philp netted the goals that kept them unbeaten this season.
Alconbury Reserves and Fenstanton finished full time and extra time all square at 1-1 and even the penalty shoot out was a tense experience with Alconbury sneaking home 2-1.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 3 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Fresh wave of Camp Beagle protests as vans arrive at Wyton complex
- 5 New mayor of Huntingdon unveiled at annual town council meeting
- 6 Met Office forecast for Cambridgeshire after weekend of mixed weather
- 7 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 8 Suspected sleeping driver with child on board stopped on A1(M)
- 9 Plans for new Pightle land in Eaton Socon after generous donation
- 10 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
Sawtry won through in a seven goal thriller at Needingworth thanks to goals from Jason Bohonis (2), Calvin Browne and Danny Holliday. The result was 4-3.
Eaton Socon A fell to a 5-2 home defeat to Ashdon Villa. Danny Love-Fulton and Lee Davies scored for Eaton.
Ramsey made it look very easy against Alconbury with a 5-1 defeat that saw the Ramsey keeper and an Alconbury forward dismissed just before the break for an impromptu wrestling match. Steve Robson put his name on a hat-trick with Daniel Edwards and Adam Taylor also scoring. The Alconbury consolation effort came from John Reddell. Ramsey Reserves fell to a 3-1 defeat at Buckden but the A team managed to bag a 3-1 win against Crowland.
Warboys edged home against Thorney with Adam Browne on the spot for the only goal and the Reserves smashed in three at Sutton Bridge for a great 3-0 away win. Jimmy Davis netted a rare goal for Sawtry Reserves against Netherton but still finished on the losing side in a 2-1 defeat.