HOCKEY: Witherow makes his Mark by hitting a hat-trick in vital St Neots success
- Credit: Archant
St Neots 1sts were thankful for stellar contributions at both ends of the pitch when claiming a vital East Men’s League victory last Saturday.
Mark Witherow hit a hat-trick and made the other goal as the local side triumphed 4-3 at City of Peterborough 4ths in Division Three North-West.
But they were reliant on an incredible goal-line clearance from Brett Nunn in the closing stages to clinch three precious points in their survival battle.
Phil Round and Jamie Cluer laid on the opening two goals for Witherow before City halved their arrears.
Witherow then completed a first-half hat-trick, but Saints’ cushion was cut to a single goal again before half-time and then wiped out in the second half as City levelled.
Adam Horlock restored their advantage when deflecting in a Witherow shot from a short corner and Nunn’s last-ditch effort at the other end then ensured it remained intact.
St Neots 2nds’ promotion hopes in Division Five North-West are fading fast. A 6-0 drubbing by Cambridge City 6ths left them seven points adrift of the top two.
- 1 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 2 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 3 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 4 Appeal for dashcam footage following three lorry crash on the A14
- 5 Huntingdon bookshop gets share of £2m online profits
- 6 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 7 See the average house price for Cambridgeshire's 'top' villages
- 8 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 9 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 10 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
The 3rds are seven points from safety at the same level after being beaten 2-1 by Horncastle 2nds. Bradley Forsdick – a first-team player who stepped in after an early injury - claimed the locals’ goal.
Owen Edwards hit a hat-trick to lead the 4ths to local derby success. Fin Hay also found the net in a 4-0 victory against St Ives 5ths in Division Six North-West.
St Neots Ladies 3rds’ bid for a third successive Five Counties Women’s League promotion is faltering.
They dropped to sixth spot in Division Three after being beaten 3-2 by Bishop’s Stortford 4ths last Saturday.
Niamh Gaynor put the Saints side ahead early on and then pulled them level early in the second half, but they were beaten by a third goal from the visitors.
The 4ths were stung by two late goals when going down 3-1 against Bury St Edmunds 3rds in the East Women’s League.
They had earlier levelled in the Division Five North-West (South) clash thanks to a fine Jay Dickinson strike in the first half.
The 1sts (at Norwich Dragons in the East Women’s League) and the 2nds (at Saffron Walden 3rds in the Five Counties Women’s League) had their matches postponed.