CRICKET: Summer of stunning success for the Eaton Socon youngsters
- Credit: Archant
Eaton Socon have proved to be the dominant force in junior cricket this summer.
The local club have provided Hunts champions in three different age groups - and tasted regional glory in another.
Their Under 9, Under 11 and Under 13s have all collected county crowns with the latter side managing an honours double in the space of three days.
The Eaton Socon lads won an excellent Under 13 County League final against Orton Park by four runs before following up two days later with an Under 13 8-a-side Cup triumph against Peterborough Town.
Luke Ashwell hit an unbeaten 50 as Eaton Socon made 126-4 against Orton Park – a tally which they just managed to defend. Olly Jefferies, who has emerged onto the senior stage in recent weeks, took 2-18 as Orton Park came up just short on 122-4.
You may also want to watch:
It was Jefferies’ turn to impress with the bat in the 8-a-side showpiece as he top-scored with 49 for Eaton Socon.
Player-of-the-match Jack White added 45 as his side reached 178-7 before restricting Peterborough Town to 85-7.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
Jefferies spun his way to 2-19 with White, Jacob Watling and Rhys Hicks also bagging wickets.
Eaton Socon provided two of the three teams involved in a triangular tournament for the Under 9 Finals Day – and their ‘B’ side captured the trophy.
They beat their in-house rivals by 29 runs before seeing off Upwood B by 30 runs.
That triumph arrived two days after the club’s Under 11 Gold side claimed silverware in their age group.
Captain Luke Ashwell delivered a man-of-the-match display with 38 and 2-11 as his side saw off Nassington by 40 runs in a final held on home turf at Eaton Socon.
The Gold lads piled up 323-6 compared to their opponents’ offering of 293-6.
And a super summer of success was topped off by ECB Under 19 Club T20 Blast glory for Eaton Socon Under 19s.
The club staged the recent finals day of that competition for the Cambs/Hunts/Beds Central area and lifted the trophy by recording wins against Cambridge Granta and Stony Stratford.
Tom Banks hit 53 in a nine-run success against Granta before Jefferies claimed 5-18 in a 34-run victory over Stony Stratford.
“Everyone the club is extremely proud of what we have achieved this year at junior level,” said Eaton Socon chairman Rob Ashwell, who also oversees the youth system.
“The success is down to our coaching team and managers in each age group - and a lot of hard work through the summer and winter in the last few years.”