CRICKET: Promotion glory for Buckden, title triumph for Sawtry, bowling brilliance from Brampton man
- Credit: Archant
Buckden have sealed a return to the Hunts League top flight for the first time since 2002.
The villagers clinched promotion from Division Two thanks to a 168-run triumph against Godmanchester Town 2nds in their final fixture of the season last Saturday.
The victory lifted Lawrie Marsh’s side to the top of the standings and even though they are highly likely to be pipped to the title by Bharat Sports, they are assured of second place at the very least.
Marsh was the biggest contributor with the bat when responsible for 73 of Buckden’s 207 total against Godmanchester Town 2nds. Tom Agass added 32.
But it was with the ball that his side really excelled when skittling their local rivals for just 39.
Richard Harris bagged 5-16 while Jonathan Mews claimed 3-5 from just 3.3 overs.
Sawtry clinched the Division Three title with a smooth success against depleted Hampton 2nds.
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 Public meeting to discuss Luton aircraft stacking system
- 4 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 7 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 8 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 9 'We must urgently plan to produce more food'
- 10 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
They dismissed the nine-man Peterborough side for 103 with Brian Chapman, Shaun Hubbard and skipper Josh Burgess claiming two wickets apiece.
Jim Davis then top-scored with 30 as the title-winners bashed their way past that tally in just 14.1 overs.
Opener Zubair Maqsood fell two runs short of a third century of the summer as Huntingdon & District 2nds piled up the runs at that level.
Maqsood hit 98, captain Philip Wright contributed 65 and Saqib Riaz added an unbeaten 63 as the locals amassed 306-4 in a 126-run triumph against Burghley Park 2nds.
The match also featured a fine bowling performance as Huntingdon & District 2nds man Adnan Hafiz swooped for 5-39 as the visitors were dismissed for 180.
But the finest bowling exploits of last weekend arrived in Division Four courtesy of Brampton star Darren Boucker.
He bagged a club record 9-22 in a 142-run victory against Ickwell 2nds.
Boucker’s career-best brilliance helped his side dismiss their opponents for just 46.
Matt Pateman stepped down to Eaton Socon 2nds to great effect last Saturday - with a valuable century in a vital victory.
Pateman’s knock of 124 helped his side to a 47-run success against Newborough to climb out of the Division One relegation zone with one game to go.
He wasn’t the only man to impress as Macaulay Clark took 5-43 and captain Ben Gowling bagged 4-34 for Eaton Socon 2nds.