CRICKET: It’s a memorable first for Warboys, but one to forget for Kimbolton
- Credit: Archant
There were a couple of firsts in Whiting & Partners Division Two of the Cambs & Hunts Premier League last Saturday.
Bottom side Warboys produced a terrific run chase to collect a first success of the campaign when triumphing by two wickets at Saffron Walden 2nds.
A half-century from Liam Gaynor (52) was the biggest contribution as the locals powered past their hosts’ posting of 234-4 with three overs to spare.
Daniel Hyde fell one run short of a 50 of his own while cousin Adam hit 35. Sam Vallance (19no) and Matt Lavender (17no) then finished the job.
But Kimbolton were in no mood to celebrate after suffering a first defeat of the campaign.
You may also want to watch:
A depleted side crashed to a nine-wicket loss at Sawston & Babraham after being skittled for just 63. Chris Gilthorpe provided 20 of those runs with Martin Burton (12) the only other man to reach double-figures on a day to forget.
The hosts cruised to victory with the minimum of fuss.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 6 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 7 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 8 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 9 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 10 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
Huntingdon & District also struggled with the bat as they were beaten by Blunham - surrendering top spot to their conequerors in the process.
The locals were dismissed for 110 when going down by four wickets at St Peters Road despite the best efforts of overseas ace Graham Hudson, who took 3-39.
CAMBS & HUNTS PREMIER LEAGUE
Whiting & Partners Division Two
HUNTINGDON & DISTRICT lost to BLUNHAM by 4 wkts
Huntingdon & District 110.
Blunham 113-6 (G. Hudson 3-39).
SAFFRON WALDEN 2NDS lost to WARBOYS by 2 wkts
Saffron Walden 2nds 234-4.
Warboys 238-8 (L. Gaynor 52, D. Hyde 49, A. Hyde 35).
SAWSTON & BABRAHAM beat KIMBOLTON by 9 wkts
Sawston & Babraham 66-1.