Courageous Cara stars as Priory claim poignant win
- Credit: Archant
A local football team have dedicated their weekend win to the late father of one of their players.
The Priory Parkside Under 15 side continued their charge towards the Cambs Women’s & Girls League B Division title with a 5-1 victory against Swavesey Institute last Saturday.
It was a particularly poignant success for goalkeeper Cara Symmons, whose father Andy was killed in a road accident in Huntingdon last week.
Priory Parkside manager Gary Smith explained: “I called Cara’s mum last Friday to explain that I would be postponing the game as a mark of respect following Andy’s death.
“But Cara was adamant that she not only wanted the game to go ahead, but also wanted to play in it.
You may also want to watch:
“She showed huge bravery and that is why she was awarded the player-of-the-match award.”
Priory Parkside fell behind early on and still trailed at half-time, but they enjoyed a second-half scoring spree to extend their proud 100 per cent record to 15 matches and move to within one win of clinching the championship crown.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 7 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 8 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
Alisha Kandekore hit the equaliser before Chloe Smith intercepted a clearance from the Swavesey goalkeeper and fired into the bottom corner.
And Priory Parkside quickly increased their lead with Madi O’Connor converting a Cerys Richards pass.
Megan Cole volleyed in a fourth goal before Holly Wisson completed the scoring.
Priory Parkside will wrap up a second successive title if they beat Royston Town in their next fixture on February 27.