Courageous Cara stars as Priory claim poignant win
- Credit: Archant
A local football team have dedicated their weekend win to the late father of one of their players.
The Priory Parkside Under 15 side continued their charge towards the Cambs Women’s & Girls League B Division title with a 5-1 victory against Swavesey Institute last Saturday.
It was a particularly poignant success for goalkeeper Cara Symmons, whose father Andy was killed in a road accident in Huntingdon last week.
Priory Parkside manager Gary Smith explained: “I called Cara’s mum last Friday to explain that I would be postponing the game as a mark of respect following Andy’s death.
“But Cara was adamant that she not only wanted the game to go ahead, but also wanted to play in it.
“She showed huge bravery and that is why she was awarded the player-of-the-match award.”
Priory Parkside fell behind early on and still trailed at half-time, but they enjoyed a second-half scoring spree to extend their proud 100 per cent record to 15 matches and move to within one win of clinching the championship crown.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
- 8 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
- 9 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 10 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
Alisha Kandekore hit the equaliser before Chloe Smith intercepted a clearance from the Swavesey goalkeeper and fired into the bottom corner.
And Priory Parkside quickly increased their lead with Madi O’Connor converting a Cerys Richards pass.
Megan Cole volleyed in a fourth goal before Holly Wisson completed the scoring.
Priory Parkside will wrap up a second successive title if they beat Royston Town in their next fixture on February 27.