Colts football: Jake Bennett’s hat-trick helps Godmanchester Rovers Youth see off St Neots Town Saints

IN the second round of the Hunts FA under-14s Cup Jake Bennett scored a hat-trick in Godmanchester Rovers Youth’s 4-1 win over St Neots Town Saints.

Bennett gave Goddy an early lead following a good ball from Marty Pegram but it was 1-1 by the time he scored his second, just before the break, when he rounded several players, ran into the Saints’ box, and slotted the ball home.

There was some solid defending from Archie Campbell and James Osborne to ensure Goddy went into the second half still 2-1 up.

At the restart, Rovers retained control of the game and Reece Johnstone picked up the ball 35 yards out and scored goal number three with a fantastic right-footed long-range lob.

In midfield, Alfie Toseland, Jonathon Owen, Jared McNamara, and Pegram were excellent and Bennett latched on to a clever through ball to complete his hat-trick.

There was a battle of the Blues at Godmanchester on Saturday when the home Blue side beat Gransden Youth Blue under-12s 3-1.

Goddy went ahead midway through the first half after the Gransden goalkeeper failed to deal with James Park’s cross and Sam Burroughes was on hand to turn in from close range. They went into the break 2-0 following a good solo run and finish by Park. Gransden pulled a goal back in the second half and missed a penalty before a long through ball from Max Gordon found Burroughes who finished smartly with a chip over the goalkeeper from the edge of the box.

Most Read

The 10 goals at Benwick were shared evenly between the home side and Goddy’s under-11s on Sunday.

It was only 1-1 at half-time with Finlay Cooper on the scoresheet for Goddy, but within several minutes of the restart, Benwick had scored four goals in quick succession and were 5-1 up.

Super-sub James Mould, who was suffering from a heavy cold, sparked Goddy’s revival when he came on with 10 minutes to go and Cooper scored three more goals before Lawrence Hammond equalised with a fantastic late free-kick.

It could have been a dream finish for Mould but his last-second shot skimmed a Benwick post as it went wide.

Goddy’s under-16s Blue team travelled to Saffron Walden and beat Spartak 78 Youth 3-0 in the Cambs & District League.

It was 0-0 at half-time but a double from Danny Mulgrew after Matthew Pates’ opener secure all three points.


ALCONBURY’S Blue under-12s team beat Godmanchester Rovers White 8-0 on Sunday with Matthew Harvey scoring a hat-trick.

There was also an own goal to add to those of Jack Wyles (2), Harley Metcalf (2), while Henry Sharman was man of the match.

Alconbury Red under-12s lost 3-2 to Gransden in a game which could have seen both teams score 10 or more goals each.

Alconbury started brightly but where 2-0 down before pulling a goal back through Leopard Bragg.

Alconbury then went level when Jacob Pack out-sprinted the Gransden defence but in the second half Gransden scored their third goal and Alconbury were unable to find an equaliser.

Alconbury under-9s Blue team continued their good start to the season with a 9-1 win in a friendly at Brampton Spartans. Kai Gardner scored four of the goals with Alex Connelly getting two. Tate Butterworth, Julinho Gomes and man of the match Ethan Ellul got the others.


BRAMPTON Spartans Green under-10s suffered their first defeat of the season when they lost 2-1 to Gransden in the Cambs & District League on Sunday.

Brampton took the lead on 15 minutes after a spell of dominance with Ryan Ward’s shot hitting the post and Alex Shaw reacting first to slot the ball home.

Against the run of play, Gransden equalised, and despite some heroic goalkeeping from Huxley Pope, they scored again before half-time.

The second half saw Brampton push hard for an equaliser with Oliver Greenhow prominent, but the visitors’ held firm to take the win.


BUCKDEN Juniors White under-12s won the battle of the undefeated in the Hunts Youth League with Cobi Thomas scoring four of their five goals in the convincing 5-2 win at Little Paxton Colts.

Thomas’ first was a wonderful bicycle kick but the home side equalised before half time and it was all square at the break.

Thomas’ second was a tap in, his third came soon after, and his fourth was a delicate lob.

Buckden seemed unstoppable by then and Aaron Hiscock added the fifth with a fierce shot from outside the area. There remained time for a determined Paxton side to have the final say, deservedly adding a second from a later corner.

Two goals from Jack Squire and one each from Mack May and Harrison Towell were not enough to secure a victory against Priory Parkside with Buckden Juniors under-9s losing 6-4.


THERE was an Eynesbury derby in the Hunts FA under-18s Cup with the club’s under-18s beating the club’s under-17s 5-1 for a place in the quarter finals of the competition.

The under-18s were the ‘home’ side and it was their player Shane McDonald who scored the only goal of the first half.

The under-17s goalkeeper Ben Hewick-Hill made several outstanding saves before Joe Tonks made it 2-0 in the 63rd minute.

Two fine goals in three minutes by Liam Dawson effectively sealed the tie and with eight minutes left Nathan Wood added the fifth.

Harry Shipp scored the under-17s’ deserved consolation goal in the dying minutes.

Eynesbury Rovers under-16s beat Apex Youth 5-4 in a Jekyll and Hyde performance with Apex taking an early 2-0 lead and Rovers scoring five goals in a 20 minutes minute period either side of half-time.

The comeback started in the 36th minute when substitute Matthew Allen picked up a clearance and scored with a fine 20-yard left-footed strike. Joe Duguid equalised in first half stoppage time, heading in Shai Delamare’s corner, before Callum Stockwell was felled in the box and scored the penalty himself.

One minute later, Lewis Davis released Delamare who finished his chance calmly to make it four and Ryan Vale collected a loose Apex clearance to score number five just five minutes later.

The visitors scored on 69 and 76 minutes to set up a tense finale but Rovers held firm and moved into second place in the Royston Crow under-16s League table.


HEMINGFORD Colts under-16s beat Buckden Juniors 3-1 in Division C of the Cambs & District under-16s League.

Hemingford started really well and were rewarded with a great goal from Scott Findlay after just five minutes.

There were chances at both ends but it was Hemingford top goalscorer Josh Topham who was on target following a cross from Ryan Pollard.

After the break, Buckden scored through Matty Rothery, but it the Hemingford captain Topham who scored again to put the game out of Buckden’s reach.

Riley Bennett scored five goals when Hemingford Junior under-10s played a friendly against Fenstanton and won 8-2.

Defender Max Folwer was man of the match in the game with Abby Townsend, Charlie Birkin and Remy Edwards scoring the other three goals.


CONNOR Strong of Needingworth Colts under-11s C team when they beat St Ives Rangers White Sox 3-2.

Home side St Ives took an early lead but strong’s defensive work and the creative play of Oliver Birks and Theo Love in midfield helped Matt Galpin to level the score before a Dominic Holding strike made it 2-1 just before half time.

Matt Galpin grabbed his second goal shortly after the restart but Rangers put in a spirited comeback to score from a well-taken free kick to set up a tense finale.

Brampton raced into a well-deserved two-goal first-half lead at Millfields but Needingworth’s under-13s managed to finish the day with a 3-3 draw.

After the break Needingworth were a different team and Benajmin Casey pulled

A goal back with a well-drilled low shot, Dan Turnbull equalised moments later, coolly slotting home a Casey through ball, before debutant Nathan Dallaire made it 3-2 by shifting the ball from his right foot to his left and unleashing a unstoppable top corner effort.

In the last 5 minutes Brampton managed to peg the score back to 3-3 before Colts their goalkeeper pulled off an excellent last-minute penalty save.


IN the A Division of the under-12s Hunts Youth League, Alex Harris was Priory Parkside’s hero when they came back from 2-1 down against St Ives Rangers Blue Sox to win 3-2.

St Ives took the lead when Priory failed to clear a shot and then a shot from Sam Routs was well saved before Harris scored for 1-1 at half-time.

In the second half St Ives were brighter and were rewarded with a goal to make it 2-1. Harris levelled for Priory, chasing a long ball and slotting past the keeper, before the goalkeeper pulled off a string of great saves.

Harris got his hat-trick after his first shot was blocked, knocking in the rebound for the three points.

Jack Morrison scored Priory Parkside under-14s’ only goal of their 1-1 draw with Thurlow at the weekend.

Thurlow missed a penalty before equalising and Priory’s Tom Berrill, Henry Vaudin and Morrison all playing well.


RAMSEY Colts under-18s beat Huntingdon Rowdies in the Hunts FA Youth Cup after the two teams had drawn 4-4 after 90 minutes.

Gage Webb scored twice and there were goals from Liam Parish and Josh Eyre with the game going straight to penalties without extra time.

The Ramsey goalkeeper Jake Galloway pulled off two excellent saves during the spot kick competition with his teammates scoring all of their penalties.

In the Hunts 9v9 League, Ramsey Jaguars under-12s A team went to St Ives Rangers Black Sox and won 1-0 with Ryan Pratt scoring the goal and Harry Walker the man of the match.

Ramsey Colts Falcons beat Alconbury Red 3-0 with Aidan Godwin, Ketan Gardner and Kyle Rudland the goalscorers. Man of the match in that game was Thomas Summerell for his non-stop energy and work rate.

Ramsey’s under-13s lost 3-0 at Thurlow in the Cambs & District League while the club’s S-Tech League under-10s girls’ side went to March Soccer School and won 5-0 with Poppy Lyons scoring a hat trick and Emily Arthur bagging a brace.


SOMERSHAM Town beat Bluntisham Blasters in a Hunts Mini Soccer League under-10s B derby on Saturday.

After a competitive start, the deadlock was broken half way through the first half when Jamie Raddon slotted the ball home at the near post.

Bluntisham equalised five minutes later but the Somersham goalkeeper Freddie Ellis and defenders Shaun Hampson and Harry Edgar stood tall and thwarted the Blasters numerous attacks in the second half.

It was man of the match Shaun Hampson who put Somersham back in front with a long range shot from outside the box and Harry Edgar made it 3-1 with a thunderbolt of a strike.

With only seconds left on the clock Raddon got his second of the game to put the game out of the Blasters reach.


ST Neots Town Blue under-15s showed character to come from behind in an exciting match that could have gone either way at home to Bishops Stortford.

Having been denied by the woodwork on three occasions, the Blues determination saw them salvage a point late in the game which finished 3-3 to remain unbeaten in the Eastern Junior Alliance League.

Jordan Brown got two of the goals and Rhys Thorpe the other.


ST Neots Town Youth under-13s won 6-0 when Chatteris Town were their Cambs & District League B Division visitors on Saturday.

It was top versus bottom but Chatteris opened the scoring with a great free kick before St Neots equalised through Saints striker Benjamin Southwood, who lobbed the goalkeeper, and then went on to score two more goals before the break.

The second half was much more open with both teams giving it a go but Alfie Gregg scored another goal before setting up Owen Sergeant for number five. Gregg volleyed the ball low and hard past the Chatteris goalkeeper to make it 6-1.


WARBOYS under-12s beat Whittlesey 4-2 with goals from Kieran Robertson, Stuart Hurrell, Dillan Scott and Josh Francis in the Cambs & District League. George Terry was Warboys’ man of the match.