Colts are pipped at the post by penalty shootout
SAWTRY Colts under-11s suffered penalty heartbreak at the Alconbury tournament on Sunday – mirroring that of their England heroes the day before. Sawtry coasted through the group stage conceding just two goals and remaining unbeaten in six games before di
SAWTRY Colts under-11s suffered penalty heartbreak at the Alconbury tournament on Sunday - mirroring that of their England heroes the day before.
Sawtry coasted through the group stage conceding just two goals and remaining unbeaten in six games before dispatching Cherry Hinton Lions in the semi-final.
Sawtry swept into an early lead in their final against Deeping Rangers but the Lincolnshire side equalised just before half-time.
Sawtry dominated the second half but could not find a way through before time ran out and the match went to penalties.
You may also want to watch:
Despite keeper Josh Bennis' making a fine save, Sawtry saw two of their own kicks brilliantly saved and it was Deeping who lifted the trophy.
Assistant manager Tim Alban said: "The lads were really disappointed as they played so well all day and only conceded three goals.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 5 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
"There were a few tears at the end but the boys can hold their heads high - their penalties were definitely better than England's were!"
Sawtry: Chris Alban, Connor Belgrove, Josh Bennis, Hayden Bream, Lawrence Francis, Jonny Hipwell, Ryan Smith