Cobb a load of that
New St Neots signing David Cobb gives first interview to The Hunts Post after agreeing to join from St Ives
DEFENDER David Cobb has set himself the challenge of breaking into the St Neots Town backline next season after agreeing the join the club from St Ives Town.
Cobb, 30, who has also previously played for Stamford, Soham Town Rangers and Wisbech Town, is an experienced utility defensive player and becomes Dennis Greene’s first summer signing.
Delighted Cobb said: “I got a message from Dennis after the Hunts Senior Cup final asking if I would be interested in the move and it was an easy decision to make.
“I’ve played at the equivalent level that St Neots have gone up in to [Step 4] before, with both Wisbech and then Stamford.”
However Cobb is under no illusions about the task he faces to earn a regular starting berth at The Hunts Post Community Stadium – but has already targeted Theo Davis’ position.
“I’m going to be a left-back I think,” said Cobb.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 5 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 9 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 10 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
“That’s where I finished the season at St Ives and I played more than a dozen games in that position at Wisbech.
“But if Dennis wants me to play further forward I will do.
“I’m not expecting to start. First it’ll be about getting a decent pre-season under my belt and trying to earn a place.”
There will be plenty of opportunities for Cobb to showcase his talent during Saints’ pre-season schedule, with 11 games lined up – all at home.
He said: “Over the summer, I’ll be in the gym to try and stay fit ahead of pre-season training and I’m quite looking forward to it.
“With the games we’ve got in the build-up, it’ll be impossible not to be fit by the start of the season.
“There are some good games in there – against the likes of Peterborough and MK Dons – where I imagine it’ll be hard to get the ball, but hopefully we’ll give them a good game.”
On Neots’ chances in the Southern League Division One Central next season, Cobb said: “We’ll be challenging definitely.
“I remember thinking when St Ives played at St Neots, that they were quite clearly too good for the United Counties League so, hopefully, St Neots will be challenging for promotion again.”
Meanwhile, on agreeing to sign Cobb from St Ives, Neots manager Greene admitted he had been monitoring the player for some time.
He said: “I had a long good look at David last season and, every time I saw him play, I thought he would fit into our set up with ease.
“With the loss of Adam Jones, who has retired, and Ian Gayle being recalled by Dagenham, we needed another defender added to the squad.
“He’s great on the ball, with a wealth of experience and a very good signing for us.”