Club out of deep water
A SWIMMING club which feared it may have to close due to a lack of funding is now on a firmer footing thanks to a number of sponsorship deals. As we reported in February, St Ives Swimming Club s mounting costs were threatening the future of the group, whi
A SWIMMING club which feared it may have to close due to a lack of funding is now on a firmer footing thanks to a number of sponsorship deals.
As we reported in February, St Ives Swimming Club's mounting costs were threatening the future of the group, which is based at the town's Ivo Centre.
Sponsors, including timber engineers D. Smith, estate agents Bennett Sanders and the Tile Store have come forward to support the club.
Club chairman Steve Johnson said: "If it were not for the generosity of local businesses it is possible that the club would not be here.
You may also want to watch:
"We have also used funding from Living Sport to appoint a community sports coach - Sandra Bruce - whose Saturday morning sessions are proving extremely popular."
The club's increased stability out of the pool has allowed it to return three excellent results in the water recently.
- 1 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 2 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 8 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
The club's swimmers ran out the clear winners of the Milton Keynes and District Junior League, while the 12-and-unders performed excellently at galas held in Houghton Regis and Stoke Mandeville.
Head coach Andy Hunter said: "The club's recent performance in the league - and claiming the title of division two champions - is an excellent achievement.
"The league victory bodes well for the club's future with so many youngsters in top form.