Championship boost as Burton, 16, zips home
A SAWTRY teenager won the latest round of the Junior National Karting Championships at the weekend. Elliot Burton, 16, won the fifth round of the championships at Lincolnshire s Fulbeck circuit and was in dominant form as he recorded the fastest times dur
A SAWTRY teenager won the latest round of the Junior National Karting Championships at the weekend.
Elliot Burton, 16, won the fifth round of the championships at Lincolnshire's Fulbeck circuit and was in dominant form as he recorded the fastest times during the practise sessions on Friday and Saturday.
In the first heat Burton came through from last on the grid to finish second.
And in heat two, a grid position of fourth turned into an easy win, with the Sawtry man crossing the line seconds clear of the field.
You may also want to watch:
In the third heat a first corner incident demoted Burton to last place by the end of the first lap, but a charging drive through the field salvaged a second place finish and ensured he qualified in pole position for the final.
At the start of the final Burton and the second place man drew clear of the field, trading the lead in an exciting tactical battle, both drivers having the championship lead on their minds.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 7 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 8 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
There was never more than two kart lengths between the pair throughout, with the lead changing hands frequently before Burton made the decisive move with two laps remaining, putting in a hot lap to give himself a little breathing space and making sure of victory.
Burton, who attends Sawtry Community College, has secured podium finishes in all five rounds of the Championships so far, with two wins, a second place and two third place finishes.
The young star is hoping to clinch the British Championship at the next round in October.