Carla is Gunning for glory
A NINE-year-old girl from Brampton is celebrating after beating off fierce competition to win a place at Arsenal FC s Centre of Excellence. Carla Humphrey became one of only 10 players selected for next season s under-10 girls squad after impressing club
A NINE-year-old girl from Brampton is celebrating after beating off fierce competition to win a place at Arsenal FC's Centre of Excellence.
Carla Humphrey became one of only 10 players selected for next season's
under-10 girls squad after impressing club coaches at the weekend.
From next month, Carla will travel to London once a week to train at the Gunners' Centre of Excellence, with matches on weekends.
Carla's proud mum Kerry said: "We're absolutely over the moon with the news.
"This has been Carla's dream since we can remember. We're all Arsenal supporters so it's just fantastic.
- 1 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 2 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 7 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 10 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
"The competition for a place was really, really tough but Carla works hard and trains hard and she's got her reward."
Carla can be seen on national television show Match Academy impressing coaches and talent scouts alike with her skills.
The midfielder beat hundreds of boys to earn her spot on the show and was seen last weekend meeting England Ladies star Sue Smith.
Match Academy is shown at 11am on Sundays on Five.