CAMBS LEAGUE: Wilks at the double as Eaton Socon start with a win while Ging’s goals earn derby triumph for Hemingfords
- Credit: Archant
Eaton Socon claimed a notable success on the opening night of the Kershaw Premier Division season.
Mark Spavins’ men have made no secret of their promotion ambitions as they bid to leave the Cambs League top-flight behind.
And they certainly started as they mean to go on by beating last season’s runners-up Hardwick at the Mick George Stadium on Tuesday night.
All of the goals in a 3-2 triumph arrived in the second half with Rhys Williams bundling Eaton Socon ahead eight minutes into it.
Their lead proved to be short-lived as Hardwick levelled on the hour and five minutes later, Eaton Socon were behind.
You may also want to watch:
But they responded immediately as Ben Wilks levelled within 60 seconds before hitting the winner with a quarter of an hour to go.
Hemingfords United came from behind to claim derby glory at Brampton in another Premier Division opener last Tuesday.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
Gareth Owens fired the hosts ahead after 15 minutes, but a brace of Andy Ging goals earned Hemingfords a 2-1 success.
He headed a leveller on 25 minutes and converted the decisive effort from the penalty spot 20 minutes into the second period.
And only a string of fine saves from Brampton goalkeeper Scott Davies prevented Hemingfords from an even more emphatic victory.
Brampton host Fowlmere tomorrow while Hemingfords go to Over. Eaton Socon are without a fixture.