Cambs League football: Graeme’s hat-trick leaves Buckden on their Marks for promotion challenge

Graeme Marks (left) hit a hat-trick as Buckden beat Littleport Town last Saturday. Picture: HELEN DR

Graeme Marks (left) hit a hat-trick as Buckden beat Littleport Town last Saturday. Picture: HELEN DRAKE - Credit: Archant

Three local clubs are covered by just three points as the battle for Division 1B promotion hots up in the Cambs League.

Buckden and Alconbury both closed in on second-placed Eaton Socon Reserves, who were in cup action, with handsome wins last Saturday.

Graeme Marks hit a hat-trick as Buckden leapfrogged Littleport to claim third place following a 4-0 win against the East Cambs side. Shane McDonald tucked away the other goal from the penalty spot.

Alconbury have found their scoring touch to boost their promotion hopes. Substitute Kristien Strickson-Head hit a hat-trick in a 6-2 victory against Chatteris Town Reserves.

Only the top two teams are promoted with runaway leaders Wisbech St Mary Reserves almost certain of going up already after opening up a 20-point lead at the summit.

St Ives Rangers picked up a valuable success in their survival bid at the same level when bashing bottom side Milton Reserves.

Matthew Norton led the goal charge with a hat-trick in a 9-0 triumph against a team they meet again this Saturday.

Most Read

AFC Barley Mow breezed to victory in a top-of-the-table clash in Division 3B. The Huntingdon lads opened up a five-point cushion over second-placed West Row Gunners after thumping them 7-1 last Saturday . . . and they also boast four games in hand.

Leading Cambs League goalscorer Josh Turner moved past the 40 mark for the season by hitting a hat-trick with Jack Cleghorn striking twice. Adam Lacey and Sam Phillips also found the net.

Alconbury Reserves eased their relegation fears at the same level by triumphing by the same scoreline.

Jack Randall and Craig Thomas both hit hat-tricks in a 7-1 rout of Wisbech St Mary B.

Brampton are making a habit of beating title-chasing Kershaw Premier Division teams.

A 2-1 success against Wisbech St Mary last Saturday means Wayne Ambler’s men have now taken the scalp of three of the leading four teams in the local top-flight.

Ice-cool Gareth Owens clinched maximum points with a second-half penalty as Brampton moved six points clear of the relegation zone.

They had earlier seen top-scorer Danny Cain’s opener controversially cancelled out from a corner which they felt should not have been awarded.

Eaton Socon remain in the hunt for the Premier Division title after Lewis Gordine-Francis struck in a 1-1 draw at West Wratting, but Hemingfords United dropped back to the basement following a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Cherry Hinton.

Eaton Socon Reserves came through a cup thriller to book their place in the semi-finals of the Creake Charity Shield.

They twice conceded last-gasp levellers in a 2-2 quarter-final deadlockagainst lower-level Fenstanton before eventually edging through on penalties.

James Godfrey fired the Socon second string ahead early in the second half before Ben Hall equalised with a 25-yard rocket - the final kick of normal time.

Socon were back in front in extra-time courtesy of Sam Argyle’s smart finish, but Fenstanton captain Arran Balls headed in a leveller with seconds to go.

But Socon refused to be denied and emerged victorious 4-3 in the shoot-out.

Houghton & Wyton set up an all-local quarter-final against Brampton Reserves after dumping out higher-level March Town Reserves in a delayed third-round tie. John Morris and Bozo Saso struck in a 2-0 win.