HOCKEY: Two points dropped by main St Neots men but the leading ladies enjoy more success
- Credit: Archant
St Neots 1sts had to settle for a share of the East Men’s League spoils last Saturday – after allowing a two-goal lead to slip away.
The local side were pegged back by Lincolnshire visitors Leadenham 1sts as their Division Three North-West clash at Longsands Academy ended in a 2-2 deadlock.
It was definitely a case of two points being dropped rather than one gained on a day when Saints made a rip-roaring start.
Adam Horlock fired them ahead after just 30 seconds before Rhys Edwards doubled the advantage moments later when hammering in a shot following a short corner.
But Saints were then masters of their own downfall at both ends of the pitch as a defensive error gifted Leadenham a reply before the break.
You may also want to watch:
Saints created and spurned a number of excellent opportunities to stretch their lead again in the second period before a mix-up at the back allowed the visitors to level.
St Neots 2nds continued a fine run of form in Division Five North-West with a 2-1 success against Cambridge City 6ths which was earned by goals from Danny Stevenson and Chris Butterworth.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 8 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
The 3rds were 1-0 winners at City of Peterborough 7ths in Division Six North-West (South) but the 4ths remain bottom of that section following a 4-1 reverse at the hands of Ely City 3rds.
St Neots Ladies 1sts continued their East Women's League resurgence last Saturday.
They claimed a second successive Division One North victory with 4-2 verdict at Wisbech Town 1sts.
Saints quickly got to grips with a treacherous Astroturf surface as a Caz Osborn thunderbolt and a Kirsty McKenzie strike put them in the driving seat.
Their lead was halved early in the second half but Sue Glover sealed the points, when bagging a brace for the second weekend running, before Wisbech hit a late consolation.
The 2nds extended their lead at the top of Division Three North-West as Kira Herbert's double secured a 2-1 win against Horncastle 1sts.
The 3rds were thumped 6-1 at Ely City 2nds in Division Four North-West (South) with their consolation goal being provided by Pippa La Cras.
But the 4ths enjoyed an emphatic derby triumph when breezing to a 10-0 win at Huntingdon 2nds in Division Five North-West (South).
Natasha Pope delivered a five-star scoring performance with Callie Wicks (2), Jay Dickinson (2) and Olivia Corner also netting.