RUGBY: St Neots see their winning streak brought to an end . . . but there’s no stopping the ladies after top-of-the-table triumph

St Neots Ladies have plenty to celebrate after another fine win.

St Neots Ladies have plenty to celebrate after another fine win. - Credit: Archant

Head coach Johnny Berwick insisted the scoreline didn’t do his side justice as St Neots saw their Midlands Division Three East (South) winning streak came to an end.

The local side had reeled off three consecutive league triumphs before falling to a 27-7 loss at Stamford last Saturday.

Saints were guilty of making handling errors which led to their hosts’ opening two tries before Rhod Howcroft touched down for their only score after fine work from the scrum.

But Saints found themselves pinned back in their own territory in a second period played in worsening conditions with three more tries earning Stamford victory.

Berwick said: “We lacked a bit of intensity in their 22, but our defensive effort was monumental and the scoreline maybe doesn’t reflect the true picture of the game.”

Saints are back on home turf this Saturday when they entertain Biggleswade at The Common.

But there is no stopping the St Neots Ladies side as they continued their charge towards Women’s South East Division Three East title glory last Sunday.

Most Read

Saints beat Biggleswade 43-24 in a top-of-the-table showdown to stretch their lead at the summit to eight points.

Vice-captain Kirsty Wilson touched down for an early breakthrough which was quickly followed by a score from Emily Miller.

Vicky Wilkinson also got in on the act, Mercy Becket claimed her first try of the season and Leah Coombes charged in from halfway as Saints opened up a 31-7 advantage at the break.

Wilkinson went over again for her second try before Biggleswade hit back with three tries during the second period, but Miller scored and converted a final try for Saints in the dying moments.

Captain Beth Robinson earlier converted three of the first-half tries.