Busy weekend for Huntingdon Athletics Club as members take country by storm
- Credit: Archant
TWENTY-FIVE athletes from Huntingdonshire Athletics Club competed across the country at the weekend.
Snow greeted the club’s runners at Herrington Park in Sunderland for the English National Cross Country Championships where Oliver Pocklington, Polly Smith, Amelia Darnell, Rebecca Pedley, Eleanor Smith and Derek Darnell all did well, while the club came away from the Eastern Veterans Indoor Championships at Lee Valley with six gold medals and new Hunts AC records.
Richard Phelan won four of the golds – in the high jump, long jump, pole vault and triple jump – while Peter Downhill (800m) and Ian Day (3000m) also celebrated first places.
The club also fielded two teams in the rearranged Hereward Relay which was cancelled because of floods last November.
In the Peterborough to Ely race, across the cold and windy Fens, Steve Church finished fifth in the third stage and Kelly Crawford was the fourth lady in the fourth stage.
You may also want to watch:
Andy Richardson recorded a time of 3.34.17 seconds to finish in 12th in the 26-mile off-road Belvoir Challenge.
And, finally, Francesca Worrall sliced almost a minute from her 5k best over the Milton Park Cambridge Parkrun course.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 5 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes