Bulls charge off the bottom after Saturday success
- Credit: Archant
St Ives ignited their survival bid by jumping off the bottom of the Midlands Division Three East (South) table.
The Bulls claimed a battling 19-5 success against Daventry at windswept Somersham Road last Saturday to climb one place in the standings.
Jack Blackey swooped on a loose pass before racing in for an early try which was successfully converted by Jim Robinson.
They had to survive plenty of pressure with Robinson sin-binned before extending their advantage courtesy of an Ollie Bartlett score in the corner after the ball had been superbly stolen by the returning Mickey Blackey.
That provided a 12-point cushion at the interval and it proved to be a match-winning position as the Bulls battled well with a fierce wind in their faces during the second half.
You may also want to watch:
They had to make ground the hard way while adopting a ‘no kicking’ policy after seeing an early Daventry attempt to find touch in the first half loop back over the kicker’s head!
It certainly worked for them as a series of quick offloads and rucks allowed Robinson and Phil Kneeshaw to carve out a second try for Bartlett. Robinson also guided over a fine conversion into the gale.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 5 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 9 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 10 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
Daventry did hit back with a try, but the Bulls saw out a vital triumph in their survival bid.
Skipper Josh Dear said: “We’re tough to beat when we play like this and implement the right rugby for the conditions.
“It was a great performance from all the lads.”
St Ives go to Dunstablians this Saturday.