Bulls charge into district final

ST IVES Bulls charged into the Hunts and Peterborough Cup final after a 41-12 last four victory at Peterborough thirds on Saturday.


ST IVES Bulls charged into the Hunts and Peterborough Cup final after a 41-12 last four victory at Peterborough thirds on Saturday.

And coach Alan Hine said afterwards that, as is so often the case, his side pulled his emotions one way then the other.

He said: “Frustration comes to mind when speaking about St Ives.

You may also want to watch:

“At times we play outstanding rugby, but we seem all too quick to slip back into bad habits.

“But a semi-final win is still a semi-final win - bring on the final.”

Most Read

The game started with St Ives calling the shots and it wasn’t long before the pressure told, with James Wood riding the tackle of the home full-back to cross the whitewash wide right - Stuart Cornwall converting.

Jim Robinson was soon nudging his way over the line to increase the St Ives lead and a second Cornwall conversion made it 14-0.

Cornwall added a penalty and then try number three himself, although missed the conversion, before Peterborough hit back with an unconverted try of their own before the break that reduced the deficit to 22-5.

A second Robinson try - almost a carbon copy of his first - followed by another Cornwall score sealed Ives’ final spot.

Cornwall converted one of the two tries, although once again missing his own, to make it 34-5.

A converted Peterborough try followed but it was the Bulls’ Josh Meadows who had the final say with Cornwall once again taking care of the extras.

This weekend, St Ives are back in Midlands Four East South action at Stoneygate.

Meanwhile, their home fixture with Stamford has been re-scheduled for April 23.

It is the last of their three remaining league fixtures, with Thornley due to visit Somersham Road on April 16.

> St Ives seconds narrowly missed out on a place in the Greene King Cup final following their narrow 14-12 reverse against Shelford fourths at Somersham Road on Saturday.

The hosts made the worst possible start, going 14-0 down within the opening ten minutes as they conceded two tries, both converted.

Home scorers Nathan Dewar and Jason Price did their best to help spark what would have been a marvellous comeback, but it wasn’t to be.

Captain Oliver Scott said: “I’m absolutely gutted, as we had all the ball in the second half, but we just couldn’t find that winning link.”

This weekend, the Bulls second team host an Ely development side.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter