Brave swimmers bag nine medals
More success for Huntingdon Piranhas at East Region Open Water Championships
HEAD coach John Richards hailed a “fantastic result” for his team of eight Huntingdon Piranhas at the East Region Open Water Championships held on Whitlingham Lake, near Norwich over the weekend.
The swimmers braved the cold, brisk winds and frequent heavy showers to take to the open water and came away with nine medals and three county titles.
Richards said: “The very cold water, windy conditions and poor visibility meant this was not an event for the faint-hearted.
“Just to finish the race was a feat in itself, but to come away with nine medals was a fantastic result.”
The event is open to swimmers registered with clubs across the six counties of Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire.
Piranhas Ryan Skeels (17) and Tom Russell (15), both from Chatteris, are now Cambridgeshire county 800m open water champions in their respective age groups.
- 1 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 2 A lost wedding photo uncovers a heartbreaking story
- 3 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 4 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in village
- 5 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 6 Off duty nurse saves a man's life by performing CPR
- 7 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 8 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 9 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 10 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
Alex Murray (17), meanwhile, is now the 1500m title holder while he also took silver for the East Region as a whole.
However the whole squad performed very well at county level, with Chloe Gibson (15) taking a silver medal in the 800m race and William Davies (14) grabbed silver in the 3,000m event.
It was a silver fest for the Leech family from Godmanchester, who all swam in the 1,500m event.
Dad Dick Leech took silver in the masters section, with Zoe (14) and Jake (15) following suit in their respective age groups.