Brampton’s Arsenal starlet Carla Humphrey bags top awards
- Credit: Archant
Scoring goals for Arsenal is a dream for many aspiring footballers – for Carla Humphrey it is a reality.
The 17-year-old Hinchingbrooke School sixth-former has become a Gunners goal-queen in the club’s development team.
And her exploits in the FA WSL Development League Southern Division last season have earned two prestigious awards - the league Players’ Player of the Year and the Top Goalscorer of the Year.
She thumped in 22 goals in all competitions in just 20 appearances for the Gunners side. Humphrey, who is comfortable in midfield or up front, has also featured among the Arsenal first-team substitutes on five occasions.
She said: “My family are all Arsenal fans so to play for the club is perfect. I’m really happy with the way things are going and hopefully I can continue to progress.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve been involved in the first-team squad a few times and would like to break into it on a regular basis. The game is growing all the time and hopefully I can make a career from playing football.”
Humphrey has been part of the Arsenal set-up since the age of nine.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 7 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 8 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
She had previously started out with her local boys’ team at Brampton and also spent two years with Rushden & Diamonds after being recommended to the Northamptonshire club by the family postman!
Humphrey is already an England international in three different age groups and represented her country at the Under 19s at the European Championships in Norway during the summer. She is hopeful to making the national squad for the Under 20 World Cup in 2016.