BOXING: Title glory for St Ives star Bradley Smith
- Credit: Archant
Bradley Smith breezed to title glory by delivering his best performance to date in the biggest fight of his blossoming career.
The St Ives puncher captured International Challenge lightweight gold with a second-round stoppage of Czech opponent Richard Walter at the York Hall in London last night.
Smith made a whirlwind start and floored his rival in the opening round before having him down on the canvas twice more in the second round - and that proved to be enough to convince the referee to stop the fight.
Smith said: “It is a great feeling to win a title and hopefully this can be a stepping stone to bigger and better things.
“I knew I could box eight rounds if necessary, but it was pleasing to get the job done so quickly.
“I had him hurt in the first round and I wasn’t about to back off and give him time to recover.
“I’ll always remember the night I won my first belt and it was great to have so many supporters there behind me.”
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 3 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 4 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 Newly elected mayor and deputy mayor of St Neots announced
The title success means Smith stretches his flawless professional record to five fights.
He got his hands on his first belt only 14 months after making his debut in the paid ranks.