BOXING: St Ives star Karl Wheeler is up for the cup, but trainer admits fight is too close to call
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Boxing Academy cruiserweight Karl Wheeler, pictured, faces a ‘genuine 50/50 fight’ this Saturday night.
Peterborough -based Wheeler, who won British and International Challenge titles earlier this year, takes on Ossie Jervier at the York Hall, in London.
It is a semi-final clash in the Goodwin Boxing Fight Cup with the eventual winner going on to earn a shot at the Southern Area title in 2017.
Wheeler’s trainer, Steve Whitwell, said: “Karl has a lot more experience as a pro, but Jervier has a longer amateur background.
“He has also started off very well in the paid ranks with three wins in four outings, and he is a very dangerous opponent.
You may also want to watch:
“He may well come out to finish the job early, and Karl will have to rely on his boxing skills to prevent any big shots landing.
“A lot can happen over 10 rounds of boxing and hopefully Karl can come away with a points decision or force a late stoppage.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 4 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 5 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 8 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 9 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
“It is a genuine 50/50 fight on a night when both men will be looking to win well.”
Wheeler (34) has won 12 of his 19 pro fights while Jervier is actually a year older, but didn’t enter the paid game until last year.
The other Fight Cup semi-final, originally scheduled to be on the same show, has now been cancelled. Biola Kudus, who lost to Wheeler earlier in the year, has withdrawn from his clash with Ryan Crawford.
It means Crawford will now face the winner of Wheeler and Jervier’s contest on December 3.