BOXING: St Ives star Karl Wheeler beaten in title fight
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Boxing Academy man Karl Wheeler missed out on major title glory last night.
Wheeler, 34, was stopped in the fifth round of his fight for the vacant Southern Area cruiserweight crown by Wadi Camacho.
The two men served up a big-hitting thriller in London, but it was the former champion who prevailed to regain a crown he has held previously.
Writing on social media, Wheeler admitted: “I lost but myself and Wadi put on one hell of a show.
“I gave it my all and I’m sorry I couldn’t bring the title home.
You may also want to watch:
“The better man won so congratulations to him and his team.”
Peterborough-based Wheeler saw a run of four successive wins come to an end.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 5 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 6 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 9 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
He won the British and International Challenge titles in the past year and also captured the Fight Cup to earn his Southern Area title tilt.