BOXING: St Ives sensation Harli Whitwell completes a brilliant hat-trick of national crowns
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Boxing Academy sensation Harli Whitwell has completed a stunning hat-trick of major titles.
The 16 year-old lifted the NABC Championship crown at 60kg last Sunday in Bristol courtesy of a unanimous points decision against Jess Wrighton, of South Cheshire ABC.
Whitwell dominated from the opening bell before really showing her class in the final round with a series of big shots.
It meant she followed up her success in the equivalent NABC event at 63kg last year when she also scooped the Junior Novice Championships title.
And she will now step up to youth level next month on a high.
You may also want to watch:
Whitwell said: “It was great to win the title and I’m very proud of the success I’ve had in the last year. I’ve put a lot of work into training and it’s been tough as I’m at college and also working part-time.
“It’s going to be really hard for me stepping up to youth level as I’ll be fighting who are older and more experienced, but I’m looking forward to it.”
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 4 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 5 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 6 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 7 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 8 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
Whitwell, from Bluntisham, will aim to continue her wave of success in the National Youth Championships in February. Before then she could feature in the Golden Girl international tournament in Sweden alongside her older - and equally as successful - sister, Shona (19), who is in the England squad.
Father and trainer Steve Whitwell said: “To win three national titles is quite an achievement.
“Harli had a nasty arm injury earlier this season when she tore a bicep muscle and it her a long time to get over it.
“But she has come back really well and, just like Shona, she has a bright and exciting future ahead of her.”