BOXING: St Ives sensation Harli Whitwell completes a brilliant hat-trick of national crowns
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Boxing Academy sensation Harli Whitwell has completed a stunning hat-trick of major titles.
The 16 year-old lifted the NABC Championship crown at 60kg last Sunday in Bristol courtesy of a unanimous points decision against Jess Wrighton, of South Cheshire ABC.
Whitwell dominated from the opening bell before really showing her class in the final round with a series of big shots.
It meant she followed up her success in the equivalent NABC event at 63kg last year when she also scooped the Junior Novice Championships title.
And she will now step up to youth level next month on a high.
You may also want to watch:
Whitwell said: “It was great to win the title and I’m very proud of the success I’ve had in the last year. I’ve put a lot of work into training and it’s been tough as I’m at college and also working part-time.
“It’s going to be really hard for me stepping up to youth level as I’ll be fighting who are older and more experienced, but I’m looking forward to it.”
- 1 Lorry driver who 'couldn't stand up' was three times over drink-drive limit
- 2 It's snowing! Send us your snow photos
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Hunts police called to 'numerous breaches' of covid regulations
- 5 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 6 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 7 Fantastic snow photos from our Hunts Post readers
- 8 Super slimmer who lost one third of her body weight crowned woman of year
- 9 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 10 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
Whitwell, from Bluntisham, will aim to continue her wave of success in the National Youth Championships in February. Before then she could feature in the Golden Girl international tournament in Sweden alongside her older - and equally as successful - sister, Shona (19), who is in the England squad.
Father and trainer Steve Whitwell said: “To win three national titles is quite an achievement.
“Harli had a nasty arm injury earlier this season when she tore a bicep muscle and it her a long time to get over it.
“But she has come back really well and, just like Shona, she has a bright and exciting future ahead of her.”