BOXING: Brilliant Belkin overcomes top opponent and injuries to continue quest for national title
- Credit: Archant
New Saints ABC prospect Ron Belkin battled his way into the semi-finals of the National Schools’ Championships last weekend.
The 12 year-old overcame London area champion Jude Binding (Dagenham) to continue his quest for major glory.
Belkin’s trainers considered withdrawing him from the fight due to injuries to his right hand and left ankle, but he shrugged off those injuries to triumph on points.
Belkin is back in the ring for his semi-final outing at Harrow this Sunday.
Four other New Saints ABC fighters were in action at Diss last weekend – and three of them enjoyed victories.
You may also want to watch:
Lenny Whittred (11) and Shannon Smith (13) both triumphed on points against Archie Barrett (Kent Gloves ABC) and Aimee Malthouse (Gateway ABC) respectively). Davy Jones (13) couldn’t capitalise on a fine start as he was beaten by home fighter Jimmy Ellwood on points.
Bailey Radford produced a powerful performance at adult level to beat Jacob Troth (Ashford ABC). He stopped his opponent in the second round after forcing two standing counts.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k