BOXING: Bradley Smith taken aback by positive reaction after speaking publicly about anxiety issues
- Credit: Archant
Brave Bradley Smith admits he was blown away by the positive reaction after going public over his health issues.
The rising St Ives star briefly retired from boxing last year - a decision he later revealed was down to struggling to deal with severe anxiety.
Smith first spoke of his plight to the Hunts Post in early January when announcing his return to full-time training. The story was then picked up by BBC Look East, who featured him in their regional TV news programme.
“I had messages from so many people after they read about or saw my situation,” said Smith.
“I’ve been told the Look East interview has had something like 145,000 views online. I’m completely taken about by all the attention and support I’ve received.
“I think a lot of people in my position needed someone to come out and say it how it is when dealing with anxiety.
“I’ve spoken to a lot of other sufferers since and hopefully I’ve been able to help them. Too many people suffer in silence and it shouldn’t be that way. It’s good to be able to talk. It definitely helped me deal with it.”
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 4 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 5 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 6 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 7 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 8 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 10 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
Smith’s own struggle led to him falling out of love for boxing. He began drinking heavily in a big to escape from reality before successfully seeking expert help after opening up about his problems to his parents.