BOXING: Belkin and Smith star as New Saints ABC stage national event
- Credit: Archant
New Saints ABC stepped in to stage the regional finals of the National Schools’ Championships last weekend – and two of their own fighters impressed.
The Eaton Socon-based club hosted an event that had to be postponed in Colchester the previous weekend after the show doctor was called away.
Ron Belkin delivered a fine performance to beat Callum Hardy (Sudbury) while fellow New Saints prospect Stanley Smith saw off Imraan Shirazi (Peterborough Police). They both triumphed on unanimous decisions to collect Eastern Counties titles.
Bill Davis was pulled out in the final round of his clash with Rocky Johnstone (Attleborough) after suffering a nose injury, while Bobbie Stanley lost out on a tight points decision against Paddy Casey (Pound Lane ABC, Essex).
Davy Jones also fell short on points in his contest with Harvey Gilham (New Astley, Suffolk).
You may also want to watch:
Belkin and Smith both advance to the pre-quarters at national level which take place in King’s Lynn this weekend against the Home Counties. Another New Saints fighter, Alfie Smith, received a bye to that stage.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Moving day for Black Cat Radio