BOWLS: Toby’s trio star as the ‘A’ team end on a high, but it’s an unwanted 100 per-cent for the ‘B’ side
- Credit: Archant
There were mixed emotions for the two Hunts Under 25 teams in the final round of Reg Wright Trophy fixtures.
The county ‘A’ team signed off on a high courtesy of an 81-58 success away to Suffolk ‘B’ last Sunday.
Toby Furzeland’s rink, featuring Dan Townsend and Sam Brugnoli, collected a terrific 37-15 triumph, while an all-Sawtry trio of Matt Nickerson, Brad Herbert and Sam Nickerson won 25-20 – a fine send-off for the latter in his final appearance due to turning 25 later this year.
But the Hunts ‘A’ side had to settle for third place in the county competition, amassing 10 fewer points than in 2016.
The Hunts ‘B’ outfit finished bottom after suffering defeats in all five fixtures. The last of those was an 87-59 reverse to unbeaten champions Suffolk A last Sunday.
A 29-15 success for the all-Buckden rink of Ben Reed/Eddie Patience and Mack May was the highlight.
- 1 New mayor of Huntingdon unveiled at annual town council meeting
- 2 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Passengers 'thrown from seats' when train sped through Peterborough
- 4 Suspected sleeping driver with child on board stopped on A1(M)
- 5 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 6 Fresh wave of Camp Beagle protests as vans arrive at Wyton complex
- 7 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 8 Exclusive look at photograph taken at RAF Warboys from IWM's new The Royal Family in Wartime book
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: 100-person laser tag tournament in woods near Huntingdon
- 10 Meet the volunteers making a difference for Ukrainians in Huntingdonshire
Reg Wright Trophy
Suffolk B 58, Hunts A 81
Hunts rinks: Dan Townsend/Sam Brugnoli/Toby Furzeland won 37-15, Matt Nickerson/Brad Herbert/Sam Nickerson won 25-20, Jorja Jackson/Kierren Murray/Matt Franklin lost 19-23.
Suffolk A 87, Hunts B 59
Hunts rinks: Ben Reed/Eddie Patience/Mack May won 29-15, Robyn Walters/Jack Squire/Sophie Purell lost 15-34, Sam Ormiston/Thomas Whittaker/Jack Ward lost 15-38.