BOWLS: Successful St Neots Outdoor Bowls Club raid on the Cambridgeshire County Finals
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Outdoor Bowls Club retained two team titles at the recent Cambridgeshire County Finals – and also scooped an individual crown.
They beat Newmarket in the final to retain the Mixed Top Club event by a 3-2 scoreline which features matches across a range of disciplines.
Rebecca Moorbey was beaten in the ladies singles, but Ross Tomlinson brought St Neots level with victory in the men’s singles contest.
A convincing success from the mixed fours line-up of Sandra Gentle, Emma Felce, Johnnie Wildman and Barry Kitto followed for St Neots before Newmarket responded to win the mixed triples showdown.
The mixed pairs battle proved to be the decider with Hayley Felce and Terry Staughton prevailing by a single shot on the final end.
And St Neots also got the better of Newmarket opposition to keep hold of the Gilbert Cup for another year.
They eventually triumphed by eight shots in a tight contest with the turning point being a five-shot haul for the rink of Wayne Bailey, Hayden Moorbey, David Appleton and Staughton in one end.
- 1 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 2 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
- 3 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 4 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 5 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 10 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
Adam Barker followed in the footsteps of brother, Jamie, when providing the individual triumph.
He beat Jamie Stewart (Cambs & County) 21-20 to lift a trophy his sibling won in 2015.
* A successful summer for St Neots Outdoor Bowls Club continued when they retained the triples crown at the Hunts League finals, beating Warboys White Hart.