BOWLS: Nicky Brett misses out on title after World Indoor Pairs final defeat
- Credit: Archant
Nicky Brett suffered defeat in the World Indoor Pairs final yesterday.
Brett, who plays out of Huntingdon Indoor Bowls Club, and partner Greg Harlow were favourite for glory at the Potters Resort in Norfolk, but they went down 6-6, 9-5 to Mark Dawes and Jamie Chestney.
The first set ended in deadlock but Brett and Harlow – who occupy the top two places in the World Bowls Tour individual rankings – eased into a 3-1 lead early in the second set.
But they were punished for one sloppy end in which they gave up five shots to trail 6-3 and were unable to recover.
Brett began his challenge for a second World Indoor Singles crown with a smooth 2-0 success against South African qualifier George Lotter in the opening round last Wednesday.
You may also want to watch:
Third seed Brett, who won the title back in 2016, now faces fellow Englishman Mervyn King in the second round tomorrow (Wednesday) morning.
- 1 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 8 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 9 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?