BOWLS: Hunts men finish with a flourish as they complete a Norfolk double in final county outings
- Credit: Archant
The curtain came down on another campaign of county bowls in fine style last Saturday.
Hunts men completed their Adams Trophy and Newton Trophy challenges on a high with a pair of home victories against Norfolk to secure third-place finishes in both competitions.
The locals emerged 158-148 winners in a tight Adams Trophy clash at Huntingdon Bowls Club despite only triumphing on two of the six rinks.
But the margin of those successes for the rinks of Nicky Brett and Robert Jepson proved decisive overall.
Ed Elmore’s young Warboys trio, also featuring Harry Ward and Ross Martin, drew their clash while skips Lewis Baker, Owen Kennedy and Ian Swannell oversaw defeats – by a single shot in the case of the latter.
But there was a far more comprehensive success for Hunts in the Newton Trophy finale as they thumped Norfolk 183-129 at Sawtry Bowls Club.
The locals were victorious on five of the six rinks with the other one ending in a deadlock for a trio skipped by Richard Coles.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 3 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 4 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 5 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 6 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 7 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 8 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 9 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 10 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
Malcolm Dudley’s rink were the most emphatic winners with a 14-shot margin, while Peter Reason’s side eased to success by a dozen shots.
Iain Hamilton and Merv Rossin oversaw 11-shot wins and Barry Stevens’ trio were eight shots clear on their rink.
Hunts 158, Norfolk 148
Hunts rinks: Harry Ward/Ross Martin/Ed Elmore drew 24-24, Eric Baker/James Bowers/Lewis Baker lost 23-31, Tony Chapman/Richard Stevens/Nicky Brett won 33-17, Steve Farrant/Kevin Ward/Robert Jepson won 29-18, Richard Wilson/Scott Wilson/Owen Kennedy lost 23-31, Trevor Dighton/Kevin Bowers/Ian Swannell lost 26-27.
Hunts 183, Norfolk 129
Hunts rinks: Andy Townsend/John Mitchley/Peter Reason won 28-16, David Peak/Bunny Johnson/Barry Stevens won 30-22, Peter Hutchinson/Barry McCormick/Richard Coles drew 24-24, Adrian Cossey/Richard Jolly/Malcolm Dudley won 36-22, Doug Urwin/Keith Minnett/Iain Hamilton won 32-21, Trevor Murray/John Hignett/Merv Rossin won 33-22.
* The leading bowlers in the area will do battle for county honours at the Hunts finals day on Sunday.
A total of 24 titles are up for grabs at Huntingdon Bowls Club with the action getting underway at 9.30am.
All winners will then represent the county at national level in the English Bowling Federation finals next month.
Full Hunts finals schedule and semi-final results can be found here at www.huntspost.co.uk/sport later this week.