BOWLS: Adams Trophy delight and Newton Trophy disappointment for Hunts teams in their penultimate fixtures
- Credit: Archant
Hunts produced a polished performance to claim success last Saturday in their penultimate Adams Trophy outing of the summer.
The locals triumphed on four rinks and shared the spoils in the other two contests when recording a 177-153 away victory against Northants.
Ian Swannell’s rink were the most comprehensive winners as they eased to a 32-21 verdict, while Lewis Baker’s trio – which included his father, Eric – were successful by five shots, 28-23.
Owen Kennedy and Ed Elmore oversaw four-shot wins, but the rinks of Robert Jepson and Nicky Brett had to settle for draws.
Third-placed Hunts complete their Adams Trophy programme this Saturday when entertaining Norfolk, who sit fourth in the standings, at Huntingdon BC.
You may also want to watch:
But there was no such joy for Hunts in the Newton Trophy last Saturday.
They suffered a clean sweep of rink defeats when crashing 213-129 to champions Northants in their penultimate outing.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 9 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 10 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
The trio skipped by Richard Coles came closest to breaking the home side’s domination when being pipped by a single shot, 27-26, after a dramatic finish
Coles, who teamed up with Peter Hutchinson and Barry McCormick, led throughout until conceding three shots in the final end.
Alan Blackley’s rink kept things respectable when losing 23-30, while Malcolm Dudley’s side went down by nine shots.
Hunts entertain Norfolk on Saturday in their final Newton Trophy outing. They need a win at Sawtry BC to leapfrog the visitors and climb off the bottom of the table.
Hunts 177, Northants 153
Hunts rinks: Trevor Dighton/Kevin Bowers/Ian Swannell won 32-21, Richard Wilson/James Bowers/Owen Kennedy won 31-27, Colin Bates/Kevin Ward/Robert Jepson drew 28-28, Tony Chapman/Richard Stevens/Nicky Brett drew 30-30, Eric Baker/Richard Fisher/Lewis Baker won 28-23, Tom Swannell/Ian McWhinney/Ed Elmore won 28-24.
Hunts 129, Northants 213
Hunts rinks: Peter Hutchinson/Barry McCormick/Richard Coles lost 26-27, Merv Rossin/Barry Stevens/Alan Blackley lost 23-30, Adrian Cossey/Richard Jolly/Malcolm Dudley lost 21-30, Doug Urwin/Keith Minnett/Ian Hamilton lost 24-34, David Peak/Mack May/John Hignett lost 16-45, John Mitchley/Andy Townsend/Peter Reason lost 18-47.