BOWLS: A win and a defeat as the Hunts ladies have a mixed start to the new inter-county season
- Credit: Archant
One Huntingdonshire women’s team enjoyed a successful start to the new inter-county campaign – but the other slipped to an opening defeat.
The local ladies welcomed Northants to Hemingford BC for a Donald Steward Trophy tie last Tuesday and eased to a 119-104 victory.
The rinks of Val Corn, Nicky Verlander and Andrea Rose were all successful to help Hunts to overall glory.
But there was a losing start to the Silver Jubilee Vase season as a Hunts side, featuring a number of new players, went down 115-91 to Northants at St Ives BC despite successes from the rinks of Sandra Minnett and Carole Hickey.
Hunts are back in action in both competitions tomorrow (Tuesday) when hosting Suffolk.
You may also want to watch:
DONALD STEWARD TROPHY
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 3 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 8 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 9 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 10 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
Hunts 119, Northants 104
Hunts runks: Janice White/Alison Wilson/Val Corn won 25-16, Sandra Day/Pauline Whittlesey/Andrea Rose won 22-20, Sylvia Armstrong/Daphne Meats/Nicky Verlander won 27-19, Joan Rangers/June Blackall/Lynda Childs lost 21-24, Glenys Cousins/Celia Steward/Pat Purssord lost 21-28.
SILVER JUBILEE VASE
Hunts 95, Northants 111.
Hunts rinks: Rita Hodson/Sandra Deller/Sandra Minnett won 24-13, Joy Kent/Jenny Martin/Carole Hickey won 23-20, Patsy Coles/Jill Francis/Linda Levi lost 15-25, Lynne King/Jenny Hurst/Nicky Hastings lost 16-26, Brenda Read/Chris Cowan/Karen Brugnoli lost 13-31.