BOWLS: A win and a defeat as the Hunts ladies have a mixed start to the new inter-county season
- Credit: Archant
One Huntingdonshire women’s team enjoyed a successful start to the new inter-county campaign – but the other slipped to an opening defeat.
The local ladies welcomed Northants to Hemingford BC for a Donald Steward Trophy tie last Tuesday and eased to a 119-104 victory.
The rinks of Val Corn, Nicky Verlander and Andrea Rose were all successful to help Hunts to overall glory.
But there was a losing start to the Silver Jubilee Vase season as a Hunts side, featuring a number of new players, went down 115-91 to Northants at St Ives BC despite successes from the rinks of Sandra Minnett and Carole Hickey.
Hunts are back in action in both competitions tomorrow (Tuesday) when hosting Suffolk.
DONALD STEWARD TROPHY
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 6 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 7 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
Hunts 119, Northants 104
Hunts runks: Janice White/Alison Wilson/Val Corn won 25-16, Sandra Day/Pauline Whittlesey/Andrea Rose won 22-20, Sylvia Armstrong/Daphne Meats/Nicky Verlander won 27-19, Joan Rangers/June Blackall/Lynda Childs lost 21-24, Glenys Cousins/Celia Steward/Pat Purssord lost 21-28.
SILVER JUBILEE VASE
Hunts 95, Northants 111.
Hunts rinks: Rita Hodson/Sandra Deller/Sandra Minnett won 24-13, Joy Kent/Jenny Martin/Carole Hickey won 23-20, Patsy Coles/Jill Francis/Linda Levi lost 15-25, Lynne King/Jenny Hurst/Nicky Hastings lost 16-26, Brenda Read/Chris Cowan/Karen Brugnoli lost 13-31.