Bloxham blunder costly
UCL Premier Division Sleaford 1 St Neots Town 1 A RARE error by goalkeeper Roy Bloxham cost St Neots two points at Sleaford – though without him the scoreline could have been worse. Saints slipped to second in the table after the draw, with Boston Town t
UCL Premier Division
Sleaford 1 St Neots Town 1
A RARE error by goalkeeper Roy Bloxham cost St Neots two points at Sleaford - though without him the scoreline could have been worse.
Saints slipped to second in the table after the draw, with Boston Town taking over top spot thanks to their 100 per cent record.
Manager Scott Houghton admitted his side had been below par, despite taking the lead in the first half.
Barrington Belgrave tested the home goalkeeper with an early drive before Gary Holderness and Matt Lunn threatened the St Neots goal.
- 1 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 2 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 3 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 4 Shoplifter barred from every M&S and Sainsbury's in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 6 Philip Pope named mayor of St Ives for a second time
- 7 Woman who could barely walk is taking part in cycling event after shedding 19 stones
- 8 Plans to demolish barn and create organic food business
- 9 A14 westbound reopens after crash caused 7 miles of delays
- 10 St Neots business raises £2700 for Ukrainians in Huntingdonshire
Only a smart low save from Bloxham prevented Lunn giving his side the lead but before they knew it St Neots found themselves in front.
On nine minutes, former Huntingdon Town forward Ryan Francis found himself in space from an Arin Fehmi corner and rose to power in his first of the season.
Sleaford renewed their efforts and again Holderness tested St Neots with his pace, forcing Bloxham into action before the hosts equalised on 24 minutes.
Bloxham left his line as he attempted to reach a cross but changed his mind mid-way through the effort and found himself stranded as Mick Stones looped a header into the gaping goal.
Former professional Belgrave saw a penalty appeal waved away by the officials before the interval and home marksman Paul Ward missed a good heading opportunity.
Former Saints player-manager Steve Kuhne was the next man to see a penalty turned down as Houghton's men pushed for the winner but again the referee said no.
Jon Hoggett looked dominant in midfield but could not prompt his side to victory as Francis and Kuhne both saw efforts denied.
Sleaford could have stolen the points in the closing 10 minutes when Bloxham was forced into a number of good saves to keep the scores level.
The hosts did eventually manage to bundle the ball into the net but the stopper had been fouled in the build-up and the goal was disallowed.
St Neots were in action at Potton United last night (Tuesday) and welcome Wellingborough Town to Rowley Park on Saturday.