Billy’s spot-on to seal first home win

UCL Division One Saturday, August 26Huntingdon Town 2 Thrapston Town 1 A VITAL late penalty saw Town come from behind and give manager Paul Swannell his first victory at the Jubilee Park helm. Saturday s game saw Huntingdon produce a much-improved displa

UCL Division One

Saturday, August 26Huntingdon Town 2

Thrapston Town 1

A VITAL late penalty saw Town come from behind and give manager Paul Swannell his first victory at the Jubilee Park helm.

Saturday's game saw Huntingdon produce a much-improved display following the previous week's 4-3 defeat to Peterborough Northern Star, boosted by new signing Eddie Patten.

Patten's arrival at centre back seemed to shore up the defence who were well-shielded by Paul Turner in the defensive midfield position.

Most Read

Peterborough United loanee Alan Haine, just 17, turned in an impressive display in midfield while Ryan Francis looked dangerous as ever up front.

Despite Huntingdon's dominance it was Thrapston who went in front after seven minutes when Steve Chilton netted, but good work from Luke Weston set up Ryan Francis for an equaliser in the 24th minute.

Haine missed a good opportunity just before half time when he rounded two defenders and the goalkeeper but couldn't convert from the narrow angle.

Thrapston were reduced to 10 men on 70 minutes when they had a man sent off for a second bookable offence.

Karl Foreman looked impressive throughout although he spurned a good opportunity on 75 minutes when his shot was saved by the goalkeeper.

Time was ticking away but just five minutes from the end Francis was upended in the area and Billy Tumblety stayed calm to convert the spot kick and earn victory for Huntingdon.

Swannell said: "It was a much better performance and we deserved to win by more goals.

"Even after we fell behind we kept dominating the game and building up the pressure on their defence.

"It's only the fifth or sixth game the lads have played together so we're all still learning and there's room for improvement there."

Huntingdon welcome Sileby to Jubilee Park on Saturday.

United Counties League

Premier Division

St Neots Town 1

Ford Sports Daventry 0

SAINTS earned their first league victory of the season with a narrow win but it was hardly convincing stuff.

A superb late Matt Endersby volley secured all three points for the home side but player-boss Steve Kuhne insists there is much more to come from his side.

Kuhne said: "It was an improved performance but we still aren't playing to our full potential yet.

"The most important thing is that we didn't look like conceding and that's a major boost for us."

Goalkeeper Ryan Hunt played his first game of the season for Town after Martyn Patching pulled out injured but he was rarely troubled as Saints dominated.

The home side forced a succession of corners and from one of these Nicky Hurst headed against the crossbar, although the whistle had already blown for a foul. However despite their territorial dominance, Saints rarely looked like troubling visiting keeper Roger Leeson.

Kuhne and Gary Walker went close on the hour mark before a rare attack from the visitors saw Chris Trill spurn a good chance with a close-range header.

It was left to Endersby to secure victory for Saints with a brilliant 25-yard volley that left Leeson clutching at thin air.

It was left-sided midfielder Endersby's first goal of the season to set him on the way to passing his total of three goals last year - all of which came in the same game.

Kuhne added: "It was great to see Matty score and it was a fantastic strike. We're looking for more goals from midfield so it was nice to see.

"It's a big relief to get that first victory and it takes the pressure off a bit and helps build confidence. The game stayed 0-0 for so long you couldn't help but wonder if they were going to sneak a goal but thankfully we held out."

United Counties League

Premier Division

Tuesday, August 22

Potton United 3 St Neots Town 0

ST NEOTS player-manager Steve Kuhne bemoaned his team's defending after they went down to another heavy defeat at Potton.

Potton forward Barry Sells bagged a hat-trick as Saints slid to their second defeat in three league games.

Saints began the match strongly but were undone on 24 minutes when a long ball over the top of the defence found Sells who coolly drew goalkeeper Martyn Patching before chipping the ball over his head.

The forward followed that strike with further goals on 42 and 65 minutes. The defeat leaves Saints with only one point from three league fixtures and 10 goal conceded.

Kuhne said: "Our defending is not good enough and I'm going to be looking to bring in a leader at the back to sort the lads out.

"Defensive errors are costing us at the moment and you can't win games when you are leaking goals like we are at the moment.